Sovereign serial numbers

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by swsuey, Jan 11, 2008.

1. swsuey

swsuey New Member

Hello everyone, I'm new (and rather inexperienced!)
    I have a Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign Eb tenor horn (silver) that I bought from Thames Valley Police when their/our band was disbanded around 1993ish. I have been trying to find out more information about it especially it's age and value for insurance purposes and possible, reluctant sale.
    I understand they have a serial number stamped on them somewhere that can help age it, could anyone enlighten me as to where it is and where I could subsequently date it?
    Also can anyone point me towards a reputable/reasonably priced repair person in the North East of England as it could do with a bit of TLC!
    Thank you so much
    Sue

2. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

On my besson tuba the serial number is stamped on the bell on the opposite side to Besson Sovereign stamp, close to where it is fixed to the rest of the tubing.
    not sure where you can get it dated been trying to do the same with my tuba.
    only found dates on the internet up to 1960.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  3. swsuey

swsuey New Member

Thanks, had a look but can't see anything there.
    I seem to recall being told once, not sure if it's right or not, that a lot of their records were destroyed in a fire? Maybe that's why the records on-line only go up to a certain date?
    Sue

4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

The serial number on my Sovereign Tenor Horn is underneath the Besson Badge.

5. swsuey

swsuey New Member

Thanks, but still no joy!
    I'm assuming that Boosey & Hawkes did give their instruments serial no.s?
    It's nowhere to be seen!!
    Sue

6. NeilW

NeilW Member

Could it have had a replacement bell?

I don't know if a repairer would stamp it - would they?

7. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I have seen serial stamped on the valve block on some instruments, and yes boosey and hawkes did stamp all their instruments, but not always in the same place, you may just have to examine the whole thing til you find it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  8. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Hi Sue,

I have to go along with the idea that it has a replacement bell. This would have the B&H or Besson stamp but no serial number.

As for a repairer in the North East (ish). Try http://www.octaveabove.co.uk/
    They have always given me good service.

9. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Larry Sinclair is based in South Shields and is excellent. PM me for his work number. He refurbished my tenor horn last year, poor old, thing (the horn, not Larry!) and it's doing a fine job at present.

10. swsuey

swsuey New Member

Thanks all.
    I've examined it from bell to mouthpiece and can't find anything (other than the B&H stamp and the valve numbers so I don't get lost!)
    If it's a replacement bell then it's a bloomin good piece of craftsmanship 'cos you can't see the join! I suppose a repairer would be able to spot that for me.
    Sorry to sound daft, but what's a PM Mrs Fruity and how do I do that? S.Shields is quite far away, I'm in SW Co. Durham but he may be able to point me in the direction of someone a bit closer.
    Sue

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hello
    Sovereign Eb
    Boosey & Hawkes
    Thames Valley Police
    insurance purposes