Sovereign Instruments

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by Lisa, May 24, 2003.

1. Lisa

Lisa Member

Someone recently told me that Sovereign Cornets are one of the most difficult makes to play on and that the main reason that most brass bands play on them is just because Black Dyke play on them! I can't believe people would play on them just because of that. I have never played on anything other than a sovereign. Is it true that other instrument makes are a lot easier to play?

Oh, and i've just thought of another question! Some of the trumpet players who play in our uni brass band moan about having to play cornets because they reckon they are more difficult to play - to get high notes on and stuff. Does anyone else think this?

2. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

We have had a few debates on some other instruments.

Courtois Tenor Horn
    http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?t=772

Willson Euphoniums
    http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?t=587

I suppose soverigns have been the standard instrument in bands for a while especially with the lottery grants.

I do play on a Soverign and haven't played on the others much either. I agree cornets are more difficult to play high notes on than trumpets but then again that probably is more to do with being a 2nd class player! I do like the maestro... found that either to get a good range on and a nice tone too!

It would be cool if someone had a go at writing a full review comparing soverign and maestro cornets *hint hint*
    :lol:

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It may be that in part the differences are related to the type of music they are asked to play. Whilst a trumpet can be very effective pumping out to Ds, Es etc in a dance band setting, you would not necessarily expect them to play lyrical phrases that high.

4. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Most of my teachers and peers tell me this is the best make anyway,
    I suppose just because Black Dyke plays you might think that but theres noway a band would think that surely???

5. picju96

picju96 Member

Or a comparison between the maestro and prestige?

Oh and about the super D's and E's comment, on the rep part in Agincourts Song it goes up to super D - higher than the solo cornets, and totally uneccessary.

6. Wouldn't have a clue bout the Dyke bit, but I have tried, Maestro's, Curtios, and Soverign cornets and for me I found i got to best with the Soverigns, may have something to do with the fact I started playing on a sov, and had done so for a good few years before i tried a few others but still, it was the make that suited me the best.

7. Despot

Despot Member

I think fashion does play a part. A one time the sovreign was considered the best, then Courtois, then Maestro's and now Prestige is all the rage! And the end of the day I think it's a personal thing and depends on what suits you! :)

8. lizi

lizi Member

I play a sovereign Flugel Horn and a sovereign Cornet and i feel that they produce a really nice,mellow sound, yet some people have told me that sound is all to do with the player and not the craftmanship of the instrument, BUT, ive played on other instruments and felt that i sounded a little brash and harsh,i may well just be weird though :roll:

any one got any thoughts on this? :?:

9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

a player with a nice sound can make a nice sound on any instrument... well.. maybe not any instrument! but y'know what i mean ;)
    makes of instruments can vary lots of aspects of playing but it is the player themself that holds the basics of all these aspects

10. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

well i wasnt gonna say anythin Lizi!!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Sovereign Cornets
    Black Dyke
    brass bands
    uni brass band
    high notes
  12. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

The other thing to point out here is that, as any band who has had a job lot of lottery instruments will know, the instruments vary so much. We have some very good Sov cornets and some completely duff ones.

13. Sparky

Sparky Member

I had a 'pre lottery' Sov 928GS cornet which was excellent. One lottery grant later I had a new 928GS which was nowhere near as good and had to be returned twice to get the valves to work. I now have a Smith Watkins 'Professional' with a K2 mouthpipe which is absolutely superb. People should try these cornets, after all Richard Smith did design the original Sovereign. They are not as expensive as you might think and you get a personal service. 4 bars rest did a review and the SW cornet scored higher than the prestige!

14. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

I recently bought my own cornet ready for uni, and although i have always played on my bands sovereign i prefered the maestro. I found that there was much less resistance when playing, and although it was easier at first has taken a while to break in, but now i couldn't be happier.

although my Soveriegn was great and produced a great sound the tuning of the actual instrument was disgraceful- not just players fault!! i do think thi is down to the massive demand on them at the time- with so many bands hving grants and ordering full band sets- the whole quality dropped to compansate for timming of delivery[which is a shame]

only quickly tried the prestige- to be honest didn't think much of it at all.

I really think that the sovereign is a great all rounder as it is VERY duralbe- especially with young band players who really don't belive you that dropping a cornet can damage it without visable marking on it!!!
    :)

15. Ray Woods

Ray Woods Member

Sovereign vs Meastro Review

If you take a look in http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?t=2280 the Couteous vs Meastro Poll in the User Reviws area you will find my detailed comparison of the Sovereign Cornet vs Meastro Cornet, under the title 'cornet spotting' or something similar.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

Prestige Cornet

I purchased a Prestige cornet recently, and really did find it a fantastic instrument to play. It was damaged however in an accident and was returned to Besson for repair. During the three months that the cornet was away for repair ( a month for each valve ) I was loaned first a Sov then a Maestro cornet. I can say without any doubt that the Prestige is the better of the three. I must admit that I was a little worried, in case having shelled out loads of cash for the Prestige - that I would have found the Maestro the better instrument.

Alan Thomas

Cubbington Silver Band

17. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Yes i definately have a duff one, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it
    :wink:

18. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I've found that over the years, the instruments that must be produced on a production line are not as nice as the older, hand-made ones. Care went into an instrument you made yourself.

Whereas now, my band's new 928GS went back 2 weeks after purchase because someone couldn't put enough glue into hold the "pearl" down!!!

Slioghtly off-topic I know, but is Besson going to slip abit now Boosey has been bought out by The Music Group?

19. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

I have a sovereign flugel, and although i don't like the instrument, the sound it produes is what i would class as a "brass band" sound.

many of the newer flugelds aimed at the jazz idiom just dont get that sound. they are too much like a "big fat trumpet on steroids"

on the prestige cornets, be careful.

my mate heather had one, and i hated it. but when she sent it back to besson, it was great when it came back. though we arent sure if its the same instrument, it feels so different, even the plating is better.

with the bessons in general, its like the strads, a great instrument, but there are way too many duff ones around at the moment.

20. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

Give me a yamaha any day of the week!! :wink:

Although, IMHO, Besson make better cornets than thier Trumpets! Although I still don't really like and model of the Besson Cornets.

21. twigglet

twigglet Member

I play a sovereign and although at first I didn't like it after I had blown it in (I'm talking a few years really) I love it now and it feels lovely to play. Agree with Aidan is surely more to do with the player and the mouthpiece as to what sound comes out the end?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Sovereign Cornets
    Black Dyke
    brass bands
    uni brass band
    high notes