Sovereign Euphonium Circle Logo

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Thornybank, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Thornybank

Thornybank Member

1981 Circle Logo Sovereign Euphonium

This is a one careful (well-off) private owner circle/globe logo Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign 4-valve euphonium from 1981 – blue case and all.

It is well played – the plating is thinned through to shiny brass along the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] valve slide (waist contact point). Impossible for me to photograph, as it is as shiny as the silver around it.

But it was his pride and joy, so:

• No wear on the bell edge from putting it ‘bell down’ on the ground.
    • No dents in the bottom bow.
    • No dents in the second valve slide from being stuck, pulling it too hard and watching it fly across the room.
    • None of the plating has been over polished – comes up bright as new except for a few case/clothing contact points. Just the wear-through mentioned.

It has two tiny pings – 1mm? The photos try to show them, but you have to look closely.

The case is not worn out – it has all its foot/bumper thingies, all the fittings are shiny, the hinges are tight and the velour lining is intact. It has a sticker from a trip to Germany on it. Even that was put on straight and is not badly rubbed/worn.

Valve action is excellent. It sings.
    It has been cleaned and polished using Goddards silver cream.

Is there a tidier example anywhere? Probably not. This is not an ex-band instrument that has been renovated. It is a ‘no excuses’ original in 9+/10 condition.

Could it be better? Well, I did a good job, but you could have it chemically cleaned, and have the felts and water key corks replaced. But it doesn’t really need it. You could invest in a set of balanced valve springs and work with a tech to get the pressure and return ‘just so’, but that is personal taste.

If you are wanting a circle logo Sov, this is the one.

Lots of photos on request – just give us an email address and we will send them along.

Hard for me to value (well, I'm not a dealer). Just looking for an 'honest' price for an 'honest' piece.

DSC00661.JPG DSC00660.JPG DSC00669.JPG DSC00658.JPG

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sovereign Euphonium Circle Logo 1981 Circle Logo Sovereign Euphonium This
    Boosey & Hawkes
    Sov
    SUP
    valve euphonium
  3. GeoffH

GeoffH New Member

I am interested in this euphonium and would like to see the other photos, but also could you give me an idea of price? email address: GDHolah@aol.com

Best regards,

Geoff

4. Thornybank

Thornybank Member

Still here