Sovereign Cornet Serial Number beginning 238

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by carl.leah, Aug 13, 2010.

1. carl.leah

carl.leah New Member

I have come across a Besson Sovereign cornet for sale which unfortunately is over 300 miles away, so I can’t pop out and have a look at it before purchasing. I am advised that the first numbers of the serial number are 238? I know that a 928 is large bore but can’t find any specification on the internet for a 238. Does anybody know if this is a medium or large bore or whatever it might be?
    It is a large bore I am after, so if anyone knows of any second hand large bores in silver that are For Sale, this would also be very helpful.

2. Despot

Despot Member

For older Sovereigns I think the first 3 numbers of the serial number had nothing to do with the model number. Think that only came later?
  3. simonium

simonium Member

There were variations on the Sovereign cornet which included 921, 923 and 927. If it's a really ancient one there is generally no preface to the serial number. This link is very useful for dating an instrument and as you can see there are no B&H / Besson instruments after 1974 which start with a "2".

I hope this helps. I believe that the Sovereign ranges dates from 1974 and one of the first instruments was a special commemorative euphonium made for Lyndon Baglin.