Sovereign Cornet - Resistance

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by catchynamegoeshere, Jan 21, 2005.

1. catchynamegoeshere

catchynamegoeshere Member

Hi,
    I play a sovereign cornet a c. late 80's model and im really finding it difficult to play because of the resistance. If i put more air through the instrument i tend to force the sound. It plays ok from a low c to middle c but ablve that i.e D's and above are really difficult to play with a nice sound. Does anyone else have this trouble with the Sov and can anyone suggest a solution.
    Thanks
    Dave

2. catchynamegoeshere

BTW I play with a DW 4

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2005
  3. craigyboy1

craigyboy1 Member

What bore is your Sov? Small/Medium/Large?
    If your sound begins to crack and sound forced on a small/medium then it is usually an indication that you are ready for a larger bore instrument.

I played a large bore Sov for years and it could take FFF's etc no problem.
    I then moved to a Maestro years ago after some build grumbles with a Sov and found this a great instrument too.

4. catchynamegoeshere

Its a large bore
    Dave

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... try a mouthpiece with a larger throat to lower resistence.

6. andyp

andyp Active Member

I play a late 80's large bore Sovereign and it's fine right up to fff, as long as it's washed regularly (about once every six weeks at least). I also use a Wick 3 mouthpiece, there's a fair difference between a 4 and 3 in the amount of air you can put through, for me the 4 probably suits a medium bore cornet better. I played on a 5 for years, once I changed to a 3 it made a major difference to my sound, how loud I could play, the lot. Give one a try, but give it a month or so and see what you think, it will feel odd at first.
    If you're getting resistance on a large bore I'd say either the mouthpiece or instrument needs a clean!

7. catchynamegoeshere

well i have played the DW4 for just under a year. What is the DW5 like? I have tried the DW3 but I had trouble getting an f on the stave.
    dave

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice