Sovereign baritone valves

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by megga, Jan 15, 2005.

1. megga

megga New Member

A question for all baritone players playing a Sovereign baritone. How do you find the valve action? My valves are so c**p...the action is soooo heavy. Our other baritone in the band is the same so I guess it's a common problem. I've tried cleaning them, oiling them more and even rubbing them with very very fine wet and dry paper all to no avail. I've been advised to change the springs to tenor horn ones. Anyone have any experience of this? Does it do any good?
  2. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Our Retired Bandmaster started to play a 2 year old Sovereign baritone on Tuesday evening. He remarked that the valves were very heavy and said he would try to find some alternative springs.
  3. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

if you want better valves and are considering changing the springs, wouldnt you change to bigger springs, like euphonium ones, or is that just me being stoopid?
  4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Bigger springs would make the valves even "heavier" to use. I'm not sure if horn springs will be long enough either. When I was playing horn (on a sovereign) I tried changing the springs on that because the valves were so bad - but it just made them more prone to sticking.

Mrs. WoodenFlugel playes on a 4v sovereign baritone and although she generally likes it she does curse the valves an awful lot.

Perhaps you ought to go on a body-building course....;) :)
  5. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

doh! how dumb am i!
    getting bigger springs worked for me, but thats cos they kept sticking. but mine is only a tiny, wee instrument
  6. megga

megga New Member

The problem is that the valves are too heavy at the moment so I don't think using stronger springs like euph ones would help in that department. It's a bit of a conundrum really 'cause the spring has to be strong enough to return the valve but you don't want it to be so strong as to make the action laboured. You would have thought that the springs supplied with an instrument would and should be tailor made for that instrument though.
  7. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

I have one myslef and find the valves extremely heavy, though I have had an oppurunity to play on one at a music camp that was about 2 years old, and the valves were amazing! unfortunately i had to return it to the person i borrowed it from :(
  8. Highams

Highams Member

I've written comments on the dreadful standard of valves by B&H before on this forum. But there is no point in putting a clean valve back into dirty casings. These have to be clean as well, especially the valve guide channel. Just warm weak soapy water and a toothbrush are fine.

Also, try removing the guide and putting the valve back to see which of the two is causing the drag. Try to avoid spinning the valve around as it is designed to work in one position only.

Modern day instruments have two rubber spring washers that are supposed to stop noise. The thickness of these compresses the springs and makes them slightly harder. If you take these out, just smear a touch of vaseline on the bottom of the valve and the bottom valve cap, not on the spring itself as this sometimes touches the casings.
  9. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Our bari's complain of mega slugish valves. They were sent away and came back not much better. I think it's a common problem!
  10. impycornet

impycornet Member

But Surely Baritones only use 3rd valve and waterkey ???

11. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

Haha a baritone joke, haven't heard one of those before.