South Yorkshire's Finest....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by geordiecolin, Feb 6, 2005.

1. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I'm a law abiding kinda guy, admittedly I may have broke the speed limit a coupla times, but generally I respect the law.

Therefore, when approaching a coupla blokes carrying clearly stolen signposts down the road tonight, I merely pointed out to Plod the fact these guys were removing the signs illegally. (i myself have been known to "relocate" the odd signpost, but these guys were rubbish. They had naff, common signs, being stolen in an obvious manner, so they deserved to be nicked).

On I walked, happy in my semi-drunken state that I had done my bit for the community and told Mr Plod about these horrific criminals.

The next thing I know there's a Volvo T5 alongside me with flashing lights and drivers window down and I partook in the following "conversation":

Polis: Oy! You! The next I want advice on how to do my job, I'll ask you! Until then keep
    your ****ing gob shut son ok?! Those lads were doing as i told them and I don't think that gives you the right to interfere!! Keep your opinions to yourself! Where are you going?

Me: (slightly dazzled) errrmmmm, home

Polis: Well get a ****ing move on son. Have you been drinking?

Me: Errr, yeah. Why, I am breaking any laws?

Polis: No, but get yourself home son before you do.

Me: (In still bewildered mode) errm OK, (In belligerent mode) Have a good night!

Polis: (In unreasonable little Hitler mode) You too

Me: (V. Quietly) ****er

What gives them the right to think that they can treat anyone walking the streets after midnight like absolute poo??! I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that consuming alcohol automatically made you a target for unwarranted Police abuse......

Grrr :ranting2: :ranting2:

2. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Why was a copper getting general public to shift signs?!? ****er! anyhow poor you, walking along minding your own business-ish

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Did you by any chance think to get either the Reg of the car or their ID numbers...? They have no idea where you live or who you are and I'd have thought an anonymous complaint to the local station might at least give you some satisfaction.

Whatever happens here though... not good at all... sorry you experienced this.

4. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Happens often I'm afraid

Trouble is, their version would suggest you threatened them, were drunk and disorderly etc etc.

Some people have delusions of grandeur. I know the Police don't have an easy job but they go OTT quite often in my experience, (and I tend to see them fairly regularly through my job).

Igg

5. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

As I've said somewhere on tMP before, there are an unforunate few in the Police force who are power crazy and think that they are above the law.

A couple of times in the past month, I've seen some stupid behaviour from the police including some very wreckless driving from a panda car who was obviously not on a call-out becuase the blue lights & siren wasn't on.

I appreicate that they have a difficult job to do, especially on Friday and Saturday nights, but it dosen't give them the excuse to take it out on members of the public who are only trying to help keep civil order in the country!

6. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

me and little miss marcroft saw 2coppers go OTT with a guy outside a bar in Hudds last night... as we were walking past, one copper grabbed the man by his jaw and threw him on the floor, the poor guy whacked his head hard on the window ledge! we thought it was mega out of order even tho we had no idea what this guy had done, some coppers jus come across as jumped up little hitlers! absolutely no need!

7. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

Yeah no need!!!

Last time I'm helping them, in hindsight it was a good job I didn't mentioned my friend's as of yet unrecovered stolen motor, else hardcore drinking in Preston today would have been distinctly unlikely!!

Colin (as Neil)

8. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

I think some of this "new, young generation" polis seem to think they are the law, wheres they should be there to enforce it, but then again sometimes the term enforcing to them, just means handing out more fines for no seatbelts or speeding all the time!!

9. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Yeah, have they never heard of Health & Safety, the IOSH etc. Can you imagine what would have happened if one of the blokes had tripped up whilst carrying the signs & done himself an injury. Someone would have been claiming compensation I think!

10. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Maybe the officer was helping the gentlemen to return the signs to their original location. Still no reason to behave in that manner, police officers shouldn't swear at people. I would make a formal complaint, Col.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Finest
    Plod
    Polis: Oy!
    Polis
    South Yorkshire
  12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Daft question but how did the cops know it was you that had reported the incident?
    and

Why had he told them to take the signs - was it some kind of community service - next they''ll be getting them to clean the police cars and help liitle old ladies across the road.

13. they can also get said chaps find to me car - still heard nothing!! although i've just got back off me hols so maybe something has happened whilst ive been away - but i doubt it

14. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

No offence Colin, but your profile seems to show your interests as "Football/Brass Bands/Drinking/Dossing/Being Late/Sleeping/errr Drinking/errr Drinking/ and errr Drin " and probably my own says something similar.

But you should realise that when you are out there stone cold sober patrolling on a night shift and it seems like the rest of the population are all there 'on the hoy' in varying states of drunkeness, what seems like like rational behaviour to you in your warm alcoholic glow doesn't always seem the same to our boys in blue. Hence your well meaning public spiritedness may not have been quite as helpful as you intended.

I know cos I've been there and done that - the cops bit that is. Still I'd rather get a telling off than (another) b***dy speeding ticket!!

15. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

In the cold (sober) light of day, Mr Brassb3llb3nd makes some fair points and I would like to make the following points myself:

a) Yes I was drunk
    b) Yes I was probably being cheeky
    and hence
    c) Yes, perhaps their actions were someway justified.

d) Francis - they knew it was me cos they had driven past me with their windows open which is when I had a sudden attack of community spirit....
    e) I believe the sign removal men were in the process of returning the signs to their rightful positions
    f) It wasn't the swearing that annoyed me, it was the fact the Policeman kept calling me "son" despite the fact he didn't look anything like me dad!