South West Wales Bands - Thank you.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jackocorn, Jun 29, 2007.

1. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

I have just finished working on secondment to the DfT based at the DVLA in Swansea for the past 21 months and would just like to thank the following bands who have let me sit-in at some point (some are a not really South West, but my sister plays for Llwydcoed):

Briton Ferry
    Bury Port

Particular thanks to Bont and Briton Ferry, who let me sit for the 2006 and 2007 Area rehearsals when I was playing the same piece – most helpful. It was also nice to get to play for my Dad’s old Band, Tredegar. He was there in the 40s and 50s and there were still a few (non-playing) members up there who remembered him.

As well as making some new friends it was also good to catch up with some old band colleagues (is there a better phrase?) who have emigrated from in and around Bristol!

Good to see so many youngsters in the bands with a view to the future, and there are some very talented young conductors in the area too. Same general lack of Cornet players as at home though.

Sadly, as I was back in Bristol for the weekends, I have been unable to take up the kind offers to dep. at jobs or sign for contests. That is until my very last night in Swansea, on Wednesday, when I helped Loughor at the Veterans’ concert in the Brangwyn Hall. I haven’t played there since the 1980 Area with Melin.

The project I was working on is on-going and there may be the odd trip back from time to time, so I may still show up.