South Bank Show to broadcast first ever 2 part programme on composer Malcolm Arnold

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by winterman, Aug 26, 2004.

1. winterman

winterman Member

Ok, so I am one of those Net-heads who does things like KlipFolio Google News Alerts for "Brass Band".

However this one sounds really good. It is a two part South Bank Show focussing on the composer Malcolm Arnold.

http://www.andante.com/article/article.cfm?id=24296

Homage to a Misfit: A New Film Examines the Talent and Tragedy of Composer Malcolm Arnold

... He went on to become one of the UKs finest trumpeters. ... quicker than it takes the ink to dry: along with his orchestral works and brass-band music ...

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Malcolm Arnold
    Malcolm Arnold Ok
    South Bank Show
    KlipFolio
    Brass Band
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There was an extended article in last week's BB about Malcolm Arnold and a series of concerts coming up, including one in the Queen Elizabeth Hall by Grimethorpe. They mentioned the programme - much longer than the usual South Bank Show, hence the decision to show it over two nights - and also said which band features. I'll post more details tomorrow if I remember to bring my BB into work :)

4. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Read an article in Tuesdays "Independent" about the man and the upcoming programme which read well , apart from suggesting that Arnold's apparent mental instability was shown at an early stage by his propensity for writing for Brass !On a more serious note , the article did discuss Arnold's rejection by the musical establishment , and his fondness for writing for Brass was seen as an element in this.
    I must admit to showing my ignorance by not actually realising that he is still alive although by all accounts in a pretty poor state.
    The programme will apparently contain a good few examples of his brass band repertoire - any ideas who is playing or are they using recordings ?
    Seem to recall watching an "Omnibus" film (or similar) by Ken Russell about Arnold some years ago which first introduced me to his brass compositions (inevitably it was "Padstow lifeboat" in the film ).Hopefully this programme will produce some interest in his work again.How about you chaps at "World of Brass" or "Doyen" commissioning a CD ?

5. PeterBale

I can't imagine a new cd being likely, when the Grimethorpe "Arnold in Brass" covered most of the best-known works - good cd by the way, and well worth getting hold of.

6. PeterBale

According to the BB article, the band used has been made up of young players from Wardle, Stockport & Rossendale, and there are about eight sequences featuring them in the film.

The Grimethorpe concert is at the Queen Elizabeth Hall on 27th September and features his Scottish, Cornish & English Dances, the Siciliano from Suite No 1, Fanfare for Louis and the Fantasy for Brass Band, together with music by Elgar Howarth, William Walton & Herbert Howells.

7. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Doh!!
    Got home last night and had a quick neb at "World of Brass" catalogue and there was the CD cover of"Arnold in Brass" staring out at me !!