Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Aidan Geary, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Aidan Geary

Aidan Geary New Member

I've recently found a recording of 'Sounds' - John Golland, but have no other info on it. I'm fairly sure that it's a Black Dyke Mills recording, but cannot confirm this.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
  2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

It was recorded in 1991 by Black Dyke and Dave King at the BBC festival of Brass.It is on a cd with Concerto Grosso ( Grimethorpe), Frontier (Williams Fairey) , and the concert version of New Jerusalem ( Britannia Building Society ) and Cloudcatcher Fells ( Leyland ).
    it's one of the early Doyen CD's.
    It's also been recorded by Brass Band Berner Oberland ( taken from 1993 European Championships in Plymouth ) and the contest performance by the Point of Ayr Band at the 1998 European in Kerkrade , Holland. there is another performance which was done in the 1980's for BBC Radio 3 "Bandstand" which was by the Point of Ayr Band with the original quiet ending conducted by the composer.
  3. Aidan Geary

Aidan Geary New Member

I have the Point of Ayr 1998 recording (as I was there with YBS on Blitz / Burlesque). Would the BBC festival recording be live or studio? The copy I have is not a live broadcast.
  4. Active Member

I'm fairly certain that the Festival of Brass '91 CD recording is live although I'm not in the office to check.
    It also appears on a CD called Mountain Song played by Brass Band Berner Oberland although there is a possibility that this is taken from the 1993 Europeans. Perhaps someone can check this as I'm not in the office for a few days.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  5. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Nick Jones- BOC Alert!!!!

G'wan mate!!
  6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

The Festival of Brass 91 recording is definitely "live" - i.e. in front of an audience. I'd like to nominate the piece for the 1st section finals next year, it's a cracker, as is a lot of Golland's music. He was a bit of an odd chap, but much underrated as a composer.
    Sounds was written in 1973 (same year as Heaton's Contest Music, also much underrated at the time) and first performed in 1974 by the National Band of Holland. I might be talking cobblers here, but I think the loud ending was the original one and he revised it after the first performance to a new quiet ending. Golland was on record as saying that he regretted removing the loud ending, subsequently reinstated it and the '91 Festival of Brass recording was, for him, the definitive version.
  7. There's also a performance of it on one of the Regional's CD's. I think it's the 1995 one when Sounds was a Champ Section qualifier with Mexican Fiesta (3rd Section), Spectrum (1st Section) and Hollywood (2nd Section). Can't tell you who performed it though but I think I have it at home somewhere.......
  8. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

The CD was titled "Sounds" and performed by Brittania BS. Also on it is Bryan Kelly's Divertimento.
  9. andyp

andyp Active Member

‘Sounds' was the set test piece for the 1993 European Championships in Plymouth. I can remember we had Stavanger Band over rehearsing in our bandroom beforehand. The roof (and walls) nearly lifted off!
  10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

It was the 1st Section Test Piece at the 2001 Mineworkers Contest in Blackpool.

- Wilky
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- there's another recording by de Waldsang strangely on their album called 'Sounds' (1992). On Pink Records PR 26012
  12. Active Member

I've just come across another CD that has Sounds on it.
    The CD is called The Music of John Golland Volume 1 and is again played by Brass Band Berner Oberland conducted by Carlo Balmelli.

It's on the mf records label and we have a few in our 'dump bin' in the shop.

If anyone is interested, but can't get to our shop, then I'll make it available on Ebay.
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I remember that contest well our band CAME LAST and deserved to be last as well with a performance of WHAT!!! NON SOUNDS:biggrin: :D , it was a complete joke performance we gave with still sorting the notes out on the last practise before the night of the Contest:biggrin: :biggrin: :rolleyes: :woo :woo :metal: :eek: :biggrin:
    I still find it very funny even today, with the performance we gave,and a good number of the band still have a good laugh about as well, you should have been there to hear us.
    If any of you were there to hear our performance please feel free to leave your comments for me.
  14. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

ZOUNDS ! - (Definition: Expressing astonishment) :) :)
  15. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

"Zounds" is an abbreviation of the 15/16th Century exclamation "Gods Wounds"
    Just thought you might be interested - I know a lot of useless boring things !
    - Wilky