Sounds Like an Emotional Return

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by tubafran, May 19, 2006.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

A couple are to make an emotional return to their roots in Scotland – accompanied by a brass band.

Bob and Muriel Blair met at the Salvation Army Motherwell Citadel in 1966 and married there in 1972 before moving to Dinnington, near Sheffield, in 1975.
    The couple have organised a tour for Killamarsh Silver Band – of which Bob is a member - to perform a series of concerts in the Motherwell area between May 27 and 29.

Bob, 58, said: “I was first taught to play an instrument in the Motherwell Citadel Band of the Salvation Army but have been a Bb bass player with Killamarsh Silver Band since 1992. “I have always had an ambition to take ‘my band’ to Motherwell so my new friends can meet my old friends. “It will be emotional for me playing with Killamarsh and a way of saying thank you to the Salvation Army for spending time and effort teaching me to play when I was 19 years old.”

The tour will see Killamarsh Silver Band perform at the Salvation Army Citadel in Camp Street, Motherwell at 7.30pm on Saturday May 27. A few tickets remain for the concert and can be obtained by ringing Captain Allan Dunlop on 01698 262809. Proceeds from the concert will go towards Salvation Army funds.
    The band will also perform at the New Lanark World Heritage Centre on Sunday May 28 from 11.30am to 1.30pm and at the Water Sports Centre in Strathclyde Park from 1.30pm to 3.30pm on bank holiday Monday May 29.

Muriel, 54, said: “We have always kept in touch with our friends and family in Motherwell and visit regularly. “But this tour will be special because the citadel hall means so much to us. It has played a pivotal part in our lives. We have been there for happy occasions and sad ones but it has been a constant feature.”
    Bob added: “I feel passionately that it important we maintain the tradition of brass bands in Britain. “Killamarsh are a good band and I hope people in Motherwell will take this opportunity to come and hear them.”

The Killamarsh Silver Band will also have some guest players that Bob has played with over the years from Dronfield, Oughtibridge, Stannington, Barnsley Building Society, Old Silkstone, Maltby, Kirkintilloch Kelvin and Darley Dale brass bands.
  2. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Should be a cracking tour. Really looking forward to it. Only another week of Bob telling me every minute detail of what's going to happen when we get there.