Sounds (John Golland)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by matt_BBb_bass, Oct 26, 2010.

1. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Hi all!

Just wondering what people think of the peice Sounds?! or previous experiences of it?! Never really herd of it until resently! Can't make mind up weather i really like it or not yet either!

Cheers Matt!
  2. Ali

Ali Member

One word. AWESOME!!!!

Quality from beginning to end
  3. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Love it- 'tis amazing. Some really odd sounds in it and one of those pieces that grows on you.
  4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Interesting piece, but not much action for basses.

- Mr Wilx
  5. Great piece! Played it with my band at 2009 Belgian Nationals as an own choice.

Also like his Concerto for Band!
  6. astreet83

astreet83 Member

Great piece!!!

Amazing ending!!
  7. wittig

wittig Member

I remember hearing Brassband Heist play it at the Fokestone Contest in 2008 I think. The performance I heard that day is up there as one of the best live brass performances I have ever witnessed.

It is just so different from many other test pieces - a real breath of fresh air in my opinion.
  8. bbbluey

bbbluey Member

the Grimethorpe performance at the Yorkshire regionals on Sounds is the best performance I ever heard of it..they were 3 points clear of anyone else
  9. critic

critic Member

one of the finest pieces for bands ever by a composer who was more appreciated after his death than before
  10. spyder

spyder New Member

Titti Ali's comments. Fab piece of music.
  11. Blower

Blower Member

Fantastic piece, would love the opportunity to contest with it. Providing the man in the box is understands it...
  12. agentorange

agentorange Member

Love it to bits. Never had the opportunity to play it in anger though, and often wonder why it isn't used more.
  13. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Love this piece!
  14. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

For about 15 years I was completely bored and turned off by brass bands. Then, in 1995 my older boy started playing and we joined the local 4th section band. In 96 we had to work up Mexican Fiesta for the Regionals so I bought my son the cd. The Championship piece was Sounds so I had a listen. It blew me away - the ending, the slow movement (!). Thanks JG.
  15. weenie

weenie Member

Awesome piece of music, ending is beautiful.
  16. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

Great Piece Matt - A nice lyrical sop solo in it also :)
  17. cplcharisma

cplcharisma New Member

Love this one. Area 96???
  18. SteveT

SteveT Member

I worked with John for a while, when he was conducting the Freckleton band, and from that time we would bump into each other regularly. He wrote "Sounds" (in part) in frustration and in response to a (what he thought), was his lack of recognition during his lifetime as a serious composer.

His work with TV and other genres, including Opera sustained him, but his first love was always brass bands. Sounds was written as a serious attempt to do something different from what he regarded as the "Trite and forumlaic" music being written for bands at the time. (His words, not mine)! Perhaps that was unfair when you consider the great writers around then.

His talent and ability were really recocognised by those who didn't really know what he was capable of, too late. The cancer got him in the end, despite a long brave battle he just ran out of time!

So, when you view the music, think about the composer trying to discover his voice, how by being more modern in his writing and experimental, he found a new audience!

Liking music is a personal thing, just try and keep an open mind. Your tastes change as you get older and more experienced, but true originality lasts!

John was trying to prove something to himself and the wider world when he wrote Sounds. Wether he succeeded or not is subjective and up to the listener and player!