Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

hi all
    i need to deaden the noise in my spare room to make life more bearable for the neighbours.
    has anyone here done this ?
    could do with some advice.
  2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It's not easy to do....and not particularly cheap either...

Get your local library to order this book for you.
  3. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

lining the walls with old practice diaries seems to work for me
  4. leisa

leisa Active Member

ugh I have this problem, I freely admit to not practising very often at all, but i tried to practice last week and my neighbour nearly banged the wall down, I wouldnt mind but we are generally quiet neighbours, neither of us practice at home usually and we never scream at each other or argue!! And it was a friday lunch time and on the odd occassion they have woke us up in the middle of the night arguing and shouting and slamming doors etc... he has now earned his nickname 'moody mick, miserable mick' he doesn't even say hello if you see him outside, miserable git!

sorry maybe this was meant for the grumpy rant room! :mad:
  5. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

You are allowed to practice between hours of 8am - 8pm I think. Any other times can be considered a nuisance if neighbours complain to local authorities. Sure someone will correct me if I am wrong here.
    I am very lucky in having neighbours who say they enjoy it(!?) but when we moved in I did talk to them first and promise I would never play after 8pm so they know there is a cut off point. I also have a practice Mute (just a basic one ) which I use if I feel the need to practice late at night. (Not often!!!!).
  6. leisa

leisa Active Member

well i agree mezzy any time after 8pm would be silly anyway as that is wine-time and when i am not at work i am rarely up before 8am....we don't really practice anyway, there was just a bit i couldnt play that i thought i would have a go at...I only did it for about 5 mins when miserable mick started banging on the wall. I wouldn't even have minded if he had come round and asked me to stop but the walls are only thin i feared his fist would come through and he is quite a scary man really, i wonder what he would do if i banged on the wall when he is argueing with his wife at 1am in the morning?!
  7. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I am quite lucky with my neighbours, most are quite old and actually enjoy hearing us practise (haven't got a clue why) - they even mention to me if they haven't heard anything for a while...and ask why not!! Big brother is watching but in this case the joys of living in a small village I suppose!!
  8. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

My neighbour is a brass player, conductor and teacher, so we probably annoy each other, lol.

But a polite word and some beer/wine/hamper every now and then would be a lot cheaper than properly soundproofing the room. Practice mutes are also useful. It's te other half I have to keep sweet.
  9. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

As I understand it, noise could be considered to be statutory nuisance at any time of day although it is easier to exceed recommended noise levels at night, because of course at such a time they would be expected to be lower due to lack of ambient noise. This, I would imagine would be a matter of judgement for an Environmental Helath Officer.

So I think you are technically incorrect to say that you are "allowed" to practice between 8am - 8pm, it is more a case of it being likely to be more difficult to become a statutory nuisance during these hours. It is also worth noting that it is usually the case that nuisance must be demonstrated over time and one off events, are unlikely, in themselves to be considered to be nuisance.
  10. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

you could always buy a detached house, or a shed to put as far away from the neighbours as poss, or a practice mute; or find a carpark in the middle of nowhere, or get an allotment......
  11. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

or a gun....
  12. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

He plays cornet not baritone....oh no, hang on, you mean for the neighbour ;)
  13. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

14. Al

Al Member

Cheapest and best solution has to be to buy a Silentbrass
  15. leisa

leisa Active Member

Ive got a silent brass and i hate it! it doesnt sound at all like what it sounds like without one and it doesnt feel the same as playing without one either, i hate mine, it lives in a draw, so if anyone wants to buy it off me please do!

p.s i much prefer the gun idea :-D
  16. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I agree with Geordiecolin, just expalin to your neighbours and agree a time. Unfortunately my spare tuba lives at my sisters house around the corner in a terrace house. I have agreed to practice between 6pm - 7pm so i don't annoy the neighbours (and my sister of course)

Everyone makes a bit of noise and after 8pm is the time to quite down!
  17. Sully

Sully New Member

Although I'm not keen...I just use my silent it's not the same but it means I can still practice any tricky bits without upsetting our neighbours, especially as well all get on and I don't want that to change
  18. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Eh up Chris... long time no golf... Sounds daft, but Fred killed his trumpet practice by sticking egg boxes on the walls... killed loads of sound! Hope all is well... drop me a line when u are up ere next. D
  19. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member doesn't.

20. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Here endeth the lesson... we shall now all stand and sing hymn number....

I assume that someone who records for a living knows better than me so ill bow to superior knowledge, although I have known a number of bands who have used a combination of curtains and egg boxes to kill sound in challenging circumstances. Just passing on personal experiance!