Soundfile of the Butlins top section test piece here!

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Simon Preshom, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

......well.....almost!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LECAbPrQe0o

I wonder if the organisers are aware that the 'new' piece they were promised is lifted almost entirely from a previous work.

Does anyone else feel that the bands, conductors and especially the organisers (who work so hard for the Butlins weekend) have been shortchanged here?

2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

He wouldn't be the first composer to pull this kind of stunt, however it looks like he might be rumbled.

Besides I felt short changed when I found out he'd been comissioned in the first place.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe he's taken on too much in a short space of time, leaving little room for natural development? It's been the undoing of band composers before.

4. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

An audio interview with the composer back in January really blows this open.

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?offset=1500&id=9190

It turns out that the 'new' piece is not just cut-and-pasted from 'Rubbing Shoulders with Champions' but from 'Light Fantastic' too. A listen to Essential Dyke 8 on wobtunes preview facility confirms this.

So three of his pieces are effectively the same. If I were the organisers I would be horrifed to learn that the test piece I had commissioned was a 'regurgitation' from not only one, but two pieces.

The interview also says that the piece would be ready to purchase in May/June, "that will give them a good 6,7,8 months to look at it". I am told that the music was only made available at the very of October/starting of November.

Is this situation really acceptable?

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Didn't he use a similar idea in Vienna Nights for one variation originating from Jazz? Nothing wrong with that in the context of both pieces.

6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Note to all: I have deleted the majority of posts on this thread, and reinstated it. Please keep to the topic.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

7. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Now I've played though it I understand why people are leaving bands in droves. If this is the kind of fare bands are going to be served on a regular basis, I'm joining the ranks of the retired..

8. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

It's not so bad over here on the 'dark side', maybe us disgruntled/disillusioned/bored/old and decrepit/unwanted/incapable/looking for other interests............ - tick as appropriate ;) - could form our own social non-contesting band to buck the system? :biggrin:

But seriously there has to be better reasons than a (alleged) c***/bodged/bogus (tick etc) test piece to retire from banding. Admitted, it can be a contributing factor though.

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

A few of us could always get our crayons out and try and write something fresh?

That's what I'm doing....

10. David Mann

David Mann Member

I think there is a growing demand for this kind of thing. I'm depping in a group called Brass Bits tomorrow, a small brass band / large ensemble whose only purposes are to raise money for charity and enjoy making music. New thread?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Butlins
    Soundfile
    organisers
    section test piece
    Does
  12. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I'm sure there are. As you know priorities start to change as you get older. Particularly on how spend time. The dilema I have is that I enjoy performing music to a high standard and that's what's keeping me at it at present. However, the thought of having to spend at least one full week and then extra rehearsals in the preceeding fortnight on something that does absolutely nothing for me leaves me thinking 'why the $%^& am I doing this?'.

If I thought I could maintain a decent playing standard without regular practice (I know I can't) and just play when I wanted to, I would.

Oops, strayed off topic there, to bring it back, Andi mentioned that he's writing to try to improve the situation. This I admire, far more positive in outlook that someone like me just whinging and being negative. The only reservation I have is that I already know other talented composers that are writing fresh music that is both challenging and fun to play that don't seem to get a look in when it comes to contest comissions.

13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

14. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Played this (finally) last night. It's like Indiana Jones from the top of a minarette!
    I am not looking forward to rehearsing this for Butlins this year at all. Having said that I didn't like Northern Lights either (left me feeling sea sick!).

I wish i could write music so that i could produce something less corny but alas, everything I composed at 'A' level was like a reflection of on Ilkley Moor baht 'at! ;)

I usually resent having to play on Sunday too but this year I think the entertainments may be the main day to look forward to.

15. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

So, it won't get used at the Swiss Open then!

16. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Lololololololol!