SoundCloud Recordings - Areas Performances

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by davidquinlan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Almost a soon as the doors had closed in the venues for both the North West and Yorkshire areas, various recordings of winning and other performances appeared on SoundCloud / Facebook etc.

Apart from the legality of a) sneakily recording the contest performances and b) publishing them online , both of are subject for other topics...

What advantages, disadvantages to people think that the subsequent areas may or may not get from listening to these recordings? In particular, if the judge or winning conductor at one area is also going to appear as a judge somewhere else?

Subsequent areas now have the benefit of winning / placed recordings + judges interviews / published comments reviews etc to take on board prior to their own areas.

What do people think?
  2. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I think its great to be able to hear differing performances. Can't really see how it will give other bands an advantage, you might get some insight into what the judge wants to hear, but that might be different at your contest because of the standard of performances. Also can do more harm than good if you've prepared in a certain way only to change everything a couple of rehearsals before.

There are some excellent performances on show though, Elland Band in particular are very good.
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Information will be passed from individual to individual despite recordings becoming available in the public domain. 4BR record interviews with the judges, winning conductors etc and that can be seen as possibly helpful in some cases. It depends how consistent one adjudicator is to another if fine tuning is to be made to performances.
  4. ibrox

ibrox Member

As long as all the competitors at subsequent areas have access to the information then the playing field is still level and no advantage, or perceived advantage, is gained.
  5. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Just tell your principal cornet to play like Richard Marshall.

Job done. First prize in the bag.

But keep this tip to yourself or your rival bands will all do it.

Best of luck

6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

7. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Well, according to that link this Richard Marshall has 7 sacks and 494 tackles.

Whilst these might be useful attributes on the contest stage, it must be a devil of a job to get trousers that fit.
  8. swisscornet

swisscornet Member

I was just wondering how the pick for the best principal for this piece has far as I remember the piece off the top of my head, there are no solos for the principal cornet?
  9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Not sneak recordings in Yorkshire - you get a recording on CD with your comments. Due to our draw on the day only heard the last band live - so its nice for us to have a listen to the other bands via the various social websites.

Knowing what we later heard from the adjudicators after bands had played it might be useful for those bands with one or more of the same adjudicators from NW or Yorkshire to do a little research - maybe remove the "interpretation" variable from this game/sport what ever it is?
  10. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Ok, maybe not sneaky recordings, but I'm not sure they come with permission to publish/distribute on the internet, but that's another issue. :)

That's kind of what I was getting at. I suppose though, each band in the subsequent areas can take on board what they hear / read and make decisions accordingly.
  11. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

3 forced fumbles too.. doesn't say how many unforced...

I passed on the message to our PC, but I believe he's busy working on the frequencies of his vibrato with a very expensive oscilloscope. I believe he's also had training in "advanced frowning at other players" in an attempt to deflect any mistakes.. just in case.... no stone unturned here...
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I don't think that really works unless you have your Intermediate "Eye-rolling" certificate as well ...
  13. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Don't forget 'Looks at instrument in disgust level 3' This one always amuses me!!!
  14. Pav

Pav Member

Ahh, quick mute change, tube extended on a harmon. We've all done it. The clatter of shame.
  15. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

There is of course the fact that there is a conductor of a band in one area who will be adjudicating the same test piece in another area. Would it be benficial to have heard the band he conducts, or not?
  16. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Only if he can (a) hear the imitation/flattery and (b) is shallow enough to be swayed by it. If an adjudicator has to choose between two technically ideal performances, then of course he's going to go for the band which put over a better sound and performance. As an MD I like to get the band playing the right notes before I worry about interpretation - and then tend to go on musical instinct. (Learning and mimicking a performance off a recording is one of my personal bugbears with banding)
  17. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

A) When are you ever going to hear two technically ideal perfomances, without going north of the Watford Gap?
    B) If you had conducted at one area, and adjudicated at another in the same section, would you be listening for the best band, or for the one where the MD has used his skill/interpretation, whether this is flattery, imitation or "shallowness" on the part of the adjudicator? I think I know which one I would go for. Of course I may have misinterpreted your meaning!
  18. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Possibly - I was speaking hypothetically, but neglected to mention!
  19. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

I have just listened to an illegal recording of the band I conduct on Soundcloud. I say illegal because it was not recorded by anyone in the band and not put in the public domain by any band member. The quality is not good and I would not wish my band to be judged by this recording. If a band wishes to put a live performance of their efforts at a major competition that's fine by me, but for someone to do this without the band's permission is out of order.
  20. fatcontroler

fatcontroler Member

You say illegal because an associate of the band didn't upload it.....but does the band themselves have the relevant approval to put a recording online? My understanding is that this would also be illegal