Sound Wave displays

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by mikelyons, Sep 29, 2011.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hi All,

I'm looking for a computer program that will allow me to display simple sine waves on screen and add harmonics to them in variable quantities to simulate how sounds are affected by the relative strengths and frequency of the harmonics. I don't necessarily want it to produce sounds (though that would be nice) but the interactive graphics part would be essential - ie drag and drop a harmonic onto the main display and see the additive or subtractive result.
    I don't mind paying a modest sum. Many, many years ago I wrote a program in BASIC that could do this - years before Windows, in the days of DOS and CP/M - but I wouldn't know where to begin now.

I have searched t'Internet but so far found nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I know I could use an oscilloscope, but I'm hoping this would be more fun.
  2. monody

monody Member

Did you search for o scope software? I think there are a few around.
  3. jmz

jmz New Member

Sync Modular

Sync Modular is a free synthesis programme which will allow you to create different oscillators then you can manipulate these with with other sources and mathematical functions, I.e creating a synth. I seem to remember it has a really good tutorial which teaches you about synthesis as well as how the program works.

Basically the guy who wrote this was so good he was snapped up by Native Instruments to create Reaktor (which is another a synthesis program) and now one of Natives flagship products.

It will do everything you described. I can bore you with principals of synthesis and harmonic theory more on Sunday, I'm sure it will make for a most thrilling afternoon...

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hi All,

Thanks for your help.

@James, I hope you are going to be concentrating on the piece! ;-) Mike