Sound Card Info Needed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by mikelyons, Feb 3, 2007.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

HI All.

For years, now, I've had a Soundblaster Audigy 2 NX attached to my faithful laptop and it has served me well.

However, this morning it died. :cry:

I need some help to replace it with a new one. Can anyone recommend an external USB soundcard with either soundfont support or with a good set of built in sounds that costs less than £250. It should referably be USB 2.0 and self powered. Creative don't seem to do external cards like this anymore and I've not seen any others. I did think about an Edirol SD-20, but it's a bit more than I want to pay. (£275):eek:

This is quite urgent as I'm in the middle of a couple of projects, so any help would be appreciated. I really can't abide the Microsoft synth sounds.
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I use one of these, they are great!
  4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Thanks for your help, chaps. It's really appreciated. I have already looked at these sites (well, two of them) and found nothing within my price range.

The m-audio card looks very interesting, but unfortnately my laptop doesn't have a proper firewire port (it is several years old now).

I'm thinking very carefully about the SD-20. I'll need to save up a bit more than I wanted to in a short space of time, but I might just make it!

We have an SD-90 at school and the sounds on it are superb.
    I'll have to go away and think.

Thanks again.

5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

A couple of random thoughts on Firewire etc:

Depending on the laptiop spec, you could always add a PCMCIA firewire card - there are currently many more interfaces that are Firewire based than USB 2....the downside there is that PCMCIA is pretty much a redundant interface on new laptops.

You'd also have to find one that has a chipset that's compatible with the interface you choose which can complicate things a bit.

The only laptop I'm aware of (though I haven't done an extensive search!) that has 6 pin Firewire on board (an so can prpvide bus power) is a Samsung model so with any laptop with only 4 pin Firewire you'd need to power the interface separately anyway...

In terms of USB 2.0 Interfaces, the Emu 0404 USB 2.0 has been getting a lot of press. I have to stress I havent used one, nor any experience of installing one - it's worth checking some of the techie forums for any of your proposed interfaces.

....andI've just checked, it can't be bus powered so that'd rule that one out I'm afraid :rolleyes: