Sound Card Info Needed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by mikelyons, Feb 3, 2007.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

HI All.

For years, now, I've had a Soundblaster Audigy 2 NX attached to my faithful laptop and it has served me well.

However, this morning it died. :cry:

I need some help to replace it with a new one. Can anyone recommend an external USB soundcard with either soundfont support or with a good set of built in sounds that costs less than £250. It should referably be USB 2.0 and self powered. Creative don't seem to do external cards like this anymore and I've not seen any others. I did think about an Edirol SD-20, but it's a bit more than I want to pay. (£275):eek:

This is quite urgent as I'm in the middle of a couple of projects, so any help would be appreciated. I really can't abide the Microsoft synth sounds.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sound Card
    All
    Info
    sounds
    laptop
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

4. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I use one of these, they are great!

5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Thanks for your help, chaps. It's really appreciated. I have already looked at these sites (well, two of them) and found nothing within my price range.

The m-audio card looks very interesting, but unfortnately my laptop doesn't have a proper firewire port (it is several years old now).

I'm thinking very carefully about the SD-20. I'll need to save up a bit more than I wanted to in a short space of time, but I might just make it!

We have an SD-90 at school and the sounds on it are superb.
    I'll have to go away and think.

Thanks again.

Mike

6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

A couple of random thoughts on Firewire etc:

Depending on the laptiop spec, you could always add a PCMCIA firewire card - there are currently many more interfaces that are Firewire based than USB 2....the downside there is that PCMCIA is pretty much a redundant interface on new laptops.

You'd also have to find one that has a chipset that's compatible with the interface you choose which can complicate things a bit.

The only laptop I'm aware of (though I haven't done an extensive search!) that has 6 pin Firewire on board (an so can prpvide bus power) is a Samsung model so with any laptop with only 4 pin Firewire you'd need to power the interface separately anyway...

In terms of USB 2.0 Interfaces, the Emu 0404 USB 2.0 has been getting a lot of press. I have to stress I havent used one, nor any experience of installing one - it's worth checking some of the techie forums for any of your proposed interfaces.

....andI've just checked, it can't be bus powered so that'd rule that one out I'm afraid :rolleyes: