"Soul Deep" series

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by WoodenFlugel, Jun 4, 2005.

1. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I just wondered whether anyone else has been watching this?

Sometimes the BBC produce a series that is almost worth the licence fee alone and I reckon for me this series is it this year. I've been glued to the telly on a Saturday night watching the stories behind how some of my favorite records / singers come to be.

I'm hopelessly biased as Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding, Ray Charles, James Brown, Aretha Franklin etc are amonst my favorite singers.

Loved last week's tale of Otis Redding - I really love his music, but this week with James Brown and Stevie Wonder and the funk era was great too. (although I think they rather missed the early days of rap / hip-hop - when the music was actually innovative and not just churning out the same old rubbish as it does now).

So has anyone else been watching it? Did you enjoy it?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've seen bits of it on and off during the last few weeks. Shame I missed most of tonight's one about George Clinton, Bootsy Collins and the rest of the P-Funk clan. Mind you, I flicked channels and found James Brown in concert on a freeview channel. :cool:

3. WoodenFlugel

George Clinton was always a little "way out" for me, but Bootsy Collins - how mad is he? There was some great footage of him playing in the James Brown band as a skinny, toothy slip of a lad. Great stuff.

Loved the bit tonight about how a Miles Davis riff was turned into the main riff of James Brown's cold sweat. I like to hear about how these great songs were formed.

Was also a good section about Marvin Gaye's "what's going on?" which was saying he didn't want to sing it and then after he did, Motown didn't want to release it as a single.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

How much coverage did the programme give to George Clinton? You have to go back to his days of his two bands that ran at the same time ... Funkadelic (a rockier based funk groove) and Parliament (more mainstream funk with fantastic horn section). Bootsy Collins is a legend on bass and worked with Clinton on his projects.

5. WoodenFlugel

I guess it was probably 1/3 or something. Although it was more centred on his live act than his studio stuff. There was no mention of his two groups. TBH I've never really been into hs stuff, although I see it's importance. I guess I just a "soul man"....:biggrin:

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I just find it depressing that today's kids don't even know of Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five or Afrikka Bambatta and the Soul Sonic Force.....

Interestingly, Russell Fraser of Def Jam records believes that without "The Message" there would have a been a five year wait for rap and hip hop to take off.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  7. WoodenFlugel

Yeah thats kind of what I was getting at with my fist post. (Un)Fortunately I'm old enought to remember the early days of rap (rapper's delight and White lines etc) I think the BBC missed a trick there, but I guess they are concentrating on the "melodic" side of "black" music.

Mary J Blige next week BTW....

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

What was your first 'rap' album? Mine was something like LL Cool J or maybe Grandmaster Flash or Kurtis Blow! Did the programme even mention Chuck Brown & The Soulsearchers??? (.. important band in my collection linking up to Trouble Funk at that time)

9. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I was always more a rock enthusiast in the 70's /80's rather than into the funk/dance scene. But I must hand it to Funkadelic they managed to cross the boundary between both genres. You won't hear a much better guitar solo than their Maggot Brain.
    I accidently stumbled upon the Soul Deep programme last night whist flicking through the channels. I shall certainly be watching again next week. :tup

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... to be honest, I was more interested in the progressive jazz rock/funk scene that the session musicians adopted during that time. Some of the greatest performances and recordings came from that era. (Oh, cannot miss out on mentioning my pet band of that time, .... Gong).

sob! Pierre Moerlen, the vastly talented tuned percussionist and drummer from Gong died recently! (He helped put Mike Oldfield on the map)

http://www.planetgong.co.uk/

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Otis Redding
    anyone
    singers
    series
    BBC
  12. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Wow... Gong... now you're talking. Pot head pixies and flying teapots etc. Daevid Allen, Steve hillage ... fantastic musicians.

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

re:Gong .... I really believe that band led me into my liking for minimilist music later on. When Gong separated into Daevid Allen's and Pierre Moerlen's outfits (late '70s), other major musicians came into being, e.g., Allan Holdsworth (guitar). Favourite album? erm., difficult, but I will opt for Shamal.

14. WoodenFlugel

Don't have any rap albums but I do have a copies of the Whitelines (don't do it) and Rappers Delight singles stashed in my attic somewhere. I can remember one of my schoolfriends played Whitelines to me and I liked it so much I went and bought it. I guess I had no idea what the track was actually about because I was only about 13 at the time.

As I said I think the program missed all the stuff that happened in the late 70's and right through the 80's, which is a shame. Next week is about Mary J Blige apparently so they jumped from about 1975 to 1995. So no mention of Grandmaster Flash, Chuck Brown or anything else of that era (although they did touch on Public Enemy).

Personally I love the 50's / 60's Soul and Blues records and some of the 70's stuff is good too, but I quickly went off rap and hate the current "Soul / R&B" records, where it seems that each singer is in a competiton to sing as many notes to each syllable as possible.

If you want real emotion listen to Aretha Franklin's "say a little prayer" or Marvin Gaye's "what's going on?" - both sung very simply - the emotion comes out in the voice, not how many notes it's possible to sing in a second.

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I liked the Philly sound over Motown, but never got really introduced to it until the mid-late '80s when it was featured in many night-clubs. Didn't last too long because of the rise of Acid House at the time. Soul for me was the Womacks, Teddy Pendergrass, Maze, Alexander O'Neal, Al Jarreau, Isley Brothers, Luther Vandross etc.