Sopranos/mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euphfanhan, Apr 27, 2006.

1. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I wondered if any kind soprano players can help me? I have a soprano (well, it's not mine, it's band's) and for some reason the mouthpiece went walkabout so I decided to buy one. Only problem is...it doesn't fit :rolleyes: . I assumed (evidently wrongly!) that as Besson instruments and Denis Wick mouthpieces seem generally to coincide, that a Denis Wick soprano ('s') mouthpiece and a Besson sovereign soprano would work equally well. Apparantly not, as the mouthpiece goes in about half a mm.
    Could anyone please tell me a mouthpiece that would fit this instrument, or as I intend to buy my own soprano soon, a soprano that would fit this mouthpiece!?
    Help pleeeease! :tongue:

2. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I use a DW(S) mouthpiece and have used it with a Besson Sovereign Soprano So not sure what's going on there with regards to when you buy your own the DW (S) will fit in a Shilke

3. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Ummm...well I don't know either! Was your sovereign new? I've no idea how old this one is but its looking a bit worse for wear.

4. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Approximately 10/15 years old maybe a bit older

5. sooooper sop

sooooper sop Member

Where's the tuning slide on your sop? if it's on the bell a DW or any other cornet mouthpeice will (should!) fit. B & H made a sop in the 90's with a detatchable lead pipe, it unscrews the first 2" so you can change the moutpeice reciver to accomodate different sizes, is it one of these?

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I've never heard of this before, I know flugels sometimes have different tapers on the leadpipe but I've never heard of a sop mouthpiece not fitting a particular sop. I guess the answer is to find out which make the sop is - our band's sop player plays on a DW S and it fits our Shilkie perfectly, so I would guess its not a European / USA thing (which it sort of is with flugels).

Who makes your bands sop?

7. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

It's a Besson sovereign. I'm very confused! Maybe its just not meant to be :( should stick to euph!

8. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

well you did say the sop looks a bit worse for wear.... maybe somehow somethings happened to the leadpipe and its all a bit squished and thats why your lovely new mouthpiece (well done for not getting a plastic one!!) won't fit?

9. josop

josop New Member

Sooper sop is right, there are detachable leadpipes on Sovereign sops. I played on one a few years ago and you could either use an cornet or a trumpet mouthpiece on it.
    is it possible that you could screw the mouthpiece-receiver simply off the instrument?

Johan

10. sooooper sop

sooooper sop Member

It seems as though everyone is as baffled as I am with this instrument :) I think it may have been altered or something is stuck in the lead pipe. I would suggest taking it to a instrument repair person to check it out. As an engineer I'd love a look at it to satify my curiosity! ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    players
    mouthpieces
    mine
    instruments
    Denis Wick
  12. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I mentioned it to my conductor and he was as confused as everyone else and said the only thing he could think of was if a mouthpiece had got stuck and the previous owner had just sawn the end of the mouthpiece off :rolleyes:
    Oddly enough, I don't think that's what is wrong...definitely no remnants of anything resembling a mouthpiece :tongue:
    Maybe I'm just being thick and it's actually some sort of...pocket cornet or something! Been trying to find pics of sovereign sops to see if there is any noticeable difference but google has failed me :(
    Thanks anyway guys...if I ever do solve the mystery I'll be sure to let you know!

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  13. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

There is something that looks vaguely screwable (risky word choice i know :eek: ) and I have tried to unscrew it...but then I spent an hour trying to unscrew part of a flute once only for it to fall to pieces and to be told by a slightly sarky repair man that it wasn't detachable :oops:
    The annoying thing is...the mouthpiece does go in about half a millimetre, and it is playable if you are willing to hold the mouthpiece in place, which isn't really an option for any notes other than c's, e's and g's!

14. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Are you sure that the mouthpiece you have bought is for a soprano? They haven't sold you a Bb mouthpiece by mistake have they?

15. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

It actually says Denis Wick s on the mouthpiece, so unless they engraved it wrong, then no. Is there much difference in size between Eb and Bb mouthpieces? Someone I asked said they could fit their normal cornet mouthpiece into a sop?

16. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Could you take a picture of the instrument and the mouthpiece and post on here so we can have a look and try to help? Good luck!

17. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

You can fit a euph mouthpiece in an Eb bass, but it doesn't work the other way round ;)

18. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

That clears a lot up! Explains why my euph mouthpiece wouldn't fit in the sop either :tongue:

19. SAbandman

SAbandman New Member

It could be that you actually have a DW SBFL ie the one for a soprano flugel.

20. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

If it is, it's very well disguised! It says 's' on the mouthpiece itself, the box it came in, the parcel it came in, the order form and the website! I'm starting to think there's some sort of conspiracy going on! :mad:

21. ohIdoliketobe

ohIdoliketobe New Member

Does it really make any difference wether you use a Bb mouthpiece on a sop anyway. I play on a Schilke and use a Warburton 18 with no probs, I did years ago have a wick but it did not suit me. Never had any problems with fitting into a lead pipe except if fitting a non-standard leadpipe (e.g. one from the infamous Getzen long model Sop which fits the Schilke shank but doesn't fit a Wick mouthpiece)....stu

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    players
    mouthpieces
    mine
    instruments
    Denis Wick