soprano tutor

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sopranoplayer, Oct 14, 2005.

1. sopranoplayer

sopranoplayer Member

Hi everyone,

Anyone out there know of any soprano tutors in the northwest/yorkshire area?

thanks in advance

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi
    soprano tutors
    yorkshire area
    thanks
    advance
  3. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

Brian Taylor (Faireys) does tutoring as far as I know. Though he plays Bb cornet he tutors Sop as well.

4. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

He's a top bloke and a great tutor.

5. sopranoplayer

sopranoplayer Member

Cheers for that.
    Don't suppose you have any contact details for him?:dunno

:idea: Just off to Fairys website.........................

6. sopranoplayer

sopranoplayer Member

Nope......no joy there.:(

7. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

It's a few years now since I've had lessons off him and I've no longer got his number I'm afraid so can't help you there.

8. sopranoplayer

sopranoplayer Member

Thanks anyway.....

Anybody know of anyone else who tutors sop??????

9. it got mentioned previously on another thread that denise dransfield (sop at lindley) did lessons but you'd have to contact her through lindley i would think, i havn't got her contact details, sorry

10. gaz

gaz New Member

I once asked pete roberts for lessons he said he can,t teach instinct but heres a few exercises he gave me from the arban page 44 ex 22 p 106 ex 9 p 140 ex 14 ken johnson, graham oconner & stan lippeatt are all great tutors.

11. 3 bent valves

3 bent valves New Member

Hi,

I'm currently playing sop (although I used to be a Bb player) and I have lessons with Russell Gray in Warrington. Although he's obviously a cornet player I do know that he does teach or has taught sop students at Salford Uni.

His details can be found on Brass Band World http://www.brassbandworld.com/ professional cards page.

He's a lovely chap who has more patience than most people!:D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi
    soprano tutors
    yorkshire area
    thanks
    advance
  13. flower girl

flower girl Member

Alan Jazwinski (huddersfield brass's sop) teaches sop and Bb and grange moor's sop player Dr Owen Wedgewood (smoothandsophisticated on tmp) teaches Bb cornet, n maybe sop

14. markyboy

markyboy Member

Bit behind the times aren't you?!

Denise joined Sellers a couple of months ago.

I have a number for her if anyone wants to pm me.

15. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

He said same thing to me...
    lip slurs are the best thing to do.

16. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

You can get the number for Brian Taylor through the Band Manager at Fairey's. He's very quick at emailing back.

Other one's to think about are Roger Webster - his Bb cornet range is the same as a sop! He is an excellent teacher and can help in other aspects such as nerves. You can find his details on BBW he teaches at the Northern maybe you could catch him there. Alan Morrison is also another one to try (also on BBW and on here ankala) he has played sop and is another great teacher.

Good luck,

Alex K

17. sopranoplayer

sopranoplayer Member

A big thanks to you all in helping me find a sop tutor....:clap:
    I think I may be sorted now....just sorting logistics (doesnt help when you live in the middle of nowhere)
    But feel free to carry on the topic, as I'm sure it will help other sop players.

And a big thank you to all those that PM'ed me.:woo

18. i didnt know 2bh mark, whos lindleys new sop then?

19. Syrup

Syrup Member

I used to play sop & also teach it. Unfortunately I don't have the time these days so can't help out on that front I'm afraid. You will find that any competent teacher will be able to teach you your brass instrument. There are though other things on top of the usual teachings (technique/sound etc) that are specific to sop, and it would help if your teacher has played sop. These things are mainly around how you approach your playing.

I would suggest that you contact some name sop players for specific advice on playing sop (on tMP, phoning them up, collaring them in the bar at the area! etc). This info would of course be free of charge!! When I first went on sop I asked the late great Brian Evans if there was any advice he could give me, and what he told me was spot on. Feel free to PM me if you have some specific questions.

20. brass journo

brass journo Member

Jason Varley - left Yorkshire Co-op in the Summer to join Lindley. good player and one of my best friends so we all wish him lots of luck at Lindley.

21. Mark Bowater

Mark Bowater Member

Hi There,

Look's like you are sorted, but if not can put you in direct contact with the SOP player of BAYV band ( Michelle Ibbotson.) Michelle is in the process of re-starting private tuition, after the birth of her daughter.

PM me if you need any further info: