Soprano Solo's

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by burns, Jul 30, 2008.

1. burns

burns New Member

I'm trying to get a nice little soprano solo to practice but am struggling to find something that I a) like or b) can actually play.....ha

Does anyone have any suggestions?? I may transpose 'My love is like a red red rose' what's your opinion on it?

Cheers

Stephen

2. city4life

city4life New Member

Have you thought of Memory form Cats. There is a Soprano Solo arrangement by I think its Alan Catherall. :confused:

I'm not sure how hard it is as I have only ever heard it not seen it.

Hope this helps :D

3. burns

burns New Member

Cheers, Yer it's a lovely piece like. When I was a kid I plyed 3rd cornet and our sop player the used to play it all the time and he was amazing.... He used to do that and Nessum Dorma quality... Just trying to find out if there's anything else out there... who do you play for then? How long you been playing and that?

Stephen

4. city4life

city4life New Member

I play for Hazel Grove on 3rd cornet. Only joined at the start of this year but I have been playing for about 4 years now.

5. burns

burns New Member

good work...best place to start. I love 3rd cornet it's quality. Them um-chucks are the best training you can get. I take a class of kids and they all sit on 3rd 2nd cornet in the band and it's good to see. I used to live in macclesfield also, it's nice down there if I'm every down your way again I might pop over for a practice?

6. Sopman

Sopman Member

You could try "Let me try again", (Simon Kerwin's arrangement) not too difficult and only goes to top G so not too high either. If you want something a bit more of a challenge try "The Queen of the Nights Aria". Both these are available with piano accompianment so you don't have splash out on a full band score if it doesn't work out.......

7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Demelza is nice too.

8. burns

burns New Member

Cheers Al, I'll try and get hold of them. How long you been playing sop? I have just been on it a fe months now really enjoying it though. It's a lonely place but kinda fun!!

9. burns

burns New Member

Demelza, I never heard of that one like, what's it like?

10. Nice Horn!

Nice Horn! Member

Demelza is by Hugh Nash it's lovely - been adopted by a lot of Horn Players (its on both Sheona White and William Rushworth CDs) Also I think Peter Roberts has played it.

I've played it on horn and it's a lovely slow melody - our sop player was always trying to pinch it but I've not let him yet.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano Solo
    Cheers Stephen
    red red rose
    nice little soprano solo
    suggestions
  12. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

yeh Demeza is a nice one, also Live and Let Die a good one

13. burns

burns New Member

Ha ha us pesky sop players are always on the lookout for a good solo like... I'll have to find and give it a whirl. Thanks for the tip... Who do you play for then??

14. Nice Horn!

Nice Horn! Member

Actually Burns have to confess, Demelza is actually a sop solo and its us pesky horn players who've pinch it!:oops:

15. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

If your looking at something to work at try this one.

I'm prettty sure if you do a search on the iste, there are a couple of threads for sop solos about
    ok! after a quick search found this thread for you

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  16. burns

burns New Member

Oh ya little sneak....aw well as long as you do it justice.

Stephen

17. burns

burns New Member

Go this one under my belt it's a lovely piece was my first solo on sop. Cheers though that link will be very useful I feel

Stephen

18. leisa

leisa Active Member

I don't think Billy Rushworth has a CD?! :-?

Demelza is lovely but IMHO much better on horn. Live and Let Die is ace, Let me try again is good uuuumm Flowerdale, Silver Threads Amongst the Gold theres so many good sop solos, if you listen to peter Roberts CD most of them are on there

19. burns

burns New Member

Cheers flower, I'll have to get me hands on a copy of that CD me thinks, I'm sure someone at band will have a copy. How's life in your band treating ya?? What section are you's in like??

Thanks again for the music tips

Stephen

20. leisa

leisa Active Member

Yep the best sop cd to get i think. We're 1st section and they are lovely thank you :biggrin:

21. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

For a challenge there's Rhapsody for Soprano Cornet by Robert Eaves (Edward Gregson). It's a nice piece to play. I've done it on horn and it's on Sheona White's aforementioned CD as well.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano Solo
    Cheers Stephen
    red red rose
    nice little soprano solo
    suggestions