Soprano Solos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by welshraz, Jan 31, 2005.

1. welshraz

welshraz Member

Ok, I know that I am probably repeating a previous thread, but if any of you wonderful sopranos out there have any suggestions for good soprano solos, then please post 'em here. Any style, any composer, any anything!!

Cheers! :D

2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Queen of the Nights Aria - Mozart arr Sandy Smith
    Nessun dorma arr Simon Kerwin

3. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Personally, I don't think you can beat On with the Motley (arr. R Farr).
    The Intermezzo from rusty macarno (Cavalleria Rusticana) by Mascagni is a great one too.
    Kevin Crockford playin Queen of the Night's Aria is just fantastic!

If you look on 'Legend' by Pete Roberts... you'll see most of the well known Sop solo's.

4. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

High Fidelity (Norman Bearcroft) as recorded by Kevin Ashman with the ISB on The Kingdom Triumphant.
    The Higher Plane (Stephen Bulla) as recorded by Peter Roberts with Brass Band Buizingen on Ad Optimum.
    The Isle of Mull (Kenneth Downie) as recorded by Peter Roberts with YBS on Legend.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  5. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

Sop solos

Most of solos on Pete Roberts "Legends"CD Specially like to play Flowerdale,from hymn of the highlands He has done for us sop players what colgate has done for toothpaste We are seldom heard, Ok sometimes we are HE He He!!!!! There is a duet for either two sops or sop and cornet called Scherzophrenia by Frank Brice

Sop 1st section midlands, (searching for sanity with Comedy)

6. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

Oh theres loads, At the mo im playing Live and Let Die, arr Ray Farr, its a great solo, very showy but is tricky as well.
    Ones ive one in the past;
    Classic ones; Nessun Dorma (Kerwin) On with the Motley (Farr), Memory (Catherall)
    Bring him home is nice and simple and the old faviorates Solitare and summertime
    Theres loads out ther, most are slow melodys but theres always pieces like "Silver Threads", "Capriccio" or "Rhapsody for sop" Which are more technically challenging.

7. balmore

balmore New Member

An interesting one, if you like double tounging, is the Concert study (Etude) arranged by R van der Velde (Kirklees Music/www.musicprint.nl).

8. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Gethsemane arr. Ray Farr available from musikverlagfrank

The Closest Thing to Crazy Mike Batt available from musikverlagfrank

Bilitis arr. Simon Kerwin

Ave Maria by Tolga Kashif available from Kirklees Music

La Belle Americaine arranged for sop available from musikverlagfrank

Let Me Try Again arr. Simon Kerwin available from Kirklees Music

Nun's Chorus arr. Simon Kerwin available from Kirklees Music

Intermezzo from Carmen arr. Simon Kerwin available from Kirklees Music

Have a listen to Brian Evan's CD (available from Kirklees) and I recorded some of this stuff above.

9. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

quick question, is belle america the same air vaire as the Bb version but arranged for sop or is it different??

10. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

It is exactly the same. Just have a look at the Bb Solo part. That is the same as looking at the Sop Solo part, so the band parts have been transposed. Which makes the 2nd variation quite difficult as you have to smack the top C's then down to bottom g's.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano Solos Ok
    suggestions
    good soprano solos
  12. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Eeek! Sounds nasty ;-)

13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Kirklees Music have just rereleased the Brian Evans Solo album on CD there are some real crackers to play,and may i had they are well played to by him.

14. gerry

gerry Supporting Member

15. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Cheeky!

16. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Also, there are a couple more duets out there...
    Pie Jesu (Lloyd Webber) for Sop and Flug.
    Flower Duet (Delibes) for Sop and Bb Cornet.

Demelza (Hugo Nash)is a nice and easy solo that can be played on the Sop.
    (I think Hugo Nash is a pseudonym of Goff Richards... or someone similar, not sure?)

17. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

There's one on Peter Roberts' CD that sounds particually good, it's called Flowerdale. Not sure who wrote or published it though. Great Piece though.

18. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Philip Sparke
    It's from the "Hymns of the Highlands" suite

19. Pastit

Pastit Member

Who arranged 'Bring him home' and is it recorded anywhere?

20. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

There are a couple of arrangements of "Bring him Home " for Soprano and Band

1. Bill Connor ( former Granada TV composer in residence , now living a couple of miles from Beaumaris ) I think this recorded on a 1992 Black Dyke Recording called "Thats Entertainment"
    2. Keith Wilkinson published by Studio I think.

21. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

Sop solos

Band gave Comedy a miss last night and played some concert items for a poss CD. Played Trumpet Voluntary (John Bennett arr Elgar Howarth) Good showey sop solo, but will make cracking concert item, see Rosehill Music,

Sop 1st sec Midlands

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano Solos Ok
    suggestions
    good soprano solos