Soprano mutes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by RJMorris, Feb 1, 2006.

1. RJMorris

RJMorris Member

What are some of the preferred mutes (straight, cup) for an Eb soprano. This particular soprano is a Shilke. Do the mutes designed specifically for Eb cornets work better than regular cornet/trumpet mutes? Thanks in advance for your valued input.

Rusty

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano
    Eb
    Shilke
    Rusty
    Soprano mutes
  3. andyp

andyp Active Member

Definitely get proper sop mutes, Bb ones are too big and don't fit properly without major surgery to the corks, even then they don't sound right and may even fall out!
    When I made my attempt at sop playing some years ago the band I was with had the Peter Gane sop mutes (hand-made), whixh were the bee's knees, but I vaguely remember they're difficult to get hold of now. Our sop uses Denis Wick sop tin and cup mutes which seem fine.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

5. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Fortunatley there is now available a complete range of mutes for Sop. Peter Gane mutes are now available for fibre style mutes (and they are every good) and Dennis Wick now do a straight and adjustable cup, also AS (I think) do a soprano Harmon mute. Personally I have a complete set (except the Wick Practise) and chop and change depending on the piece or whether I'm in unison with the cornets (who all use wicks).

Horses for courses really.

6. kadsop1

kadsop1 New Member

Peter Gane cup & straight mutes are perfect, effective and made for the job...

7. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

i use Peter Gane Fibre, Dennis Wick Tin, practise and also cup (which is new and im not that keen on,used to play on a peter gane cup whichwas much better but more money!) also got a sop harmon mute but dont know the make of it.

8. welshraz

welshraz Member

I use Peter Gane mutes too. I find the cup mute a bit too snug, but apart from that they are great! Took the band long enough to get them, for sure....

9. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

As has been said before each to there own, I use Denis Wick straight and harmon, andA Tom Crown D trumpet cup mute and they all fit my Schilkie, really snug, The front row recon I should just flatten the bell with a hammer, and that would really mute it!!! Such cheek

10. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

Straight Fibre - Peter Gane
    Cup - Peter Gane or Dennis Wick
    Harmon - Stolzel
    Tin - Denis Wick

11. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Report em to SPAS!

(btw Where do we sign up?) :D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano
    Eb
    Shilke
    Rusty
    Soprano mutes
  13. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

The chap originally making Peter Gane mutes died about 4 years ago, so they became unavailable for a while, then about 2 years ago, Unison Music in Canterbury bought all the tools and started making them again. I can't comment on Soprano mutes, but PG really are the best fibre mutes I've ever used.

14. lucretia

lucretia Member

I play a schilke too. I don't know what make fibre straight I use (painted white with red bass - fairly standard). I use a copper metal straight and a black fibre cup (both Peter Gane, I think). I've also got the Denis Wick adjustable cup - it feels a bit odd at times - very loud when you're playing as if all the sounds is being blasted directly at the player.

15. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I play a shilke, unfortunately my band havn't bought me any special sop sized mutes, so i bought myself a denis wick striaght, then took a whopping big file to a couple of ordinary hulmes and berg cup and straight mutes.They are horrid, out of tune and fit badly!!!!
    I lie, i did persuade then to buy me a harmon coz no amount of adjusting would make the denis wick Bb version fit. However the foam has fell off it and now it is broke. I keep fixing it with draught excluder from B&Q ( the type you put around doors) but that keeps on fallin off too.
    Soooo, where can i get me some nice peter gane mutes????

(PS how do I sign up for S.P.A.S??)

16. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I've got a DW straight and a DW adjustable cup mute. I find the straight mute makes me a bit sharp but the Cup mute is pretty good.