Soprano mouthpiece advice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by kiwiinoz, Oct 17, 2012.

1. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

Currently using a Denis Wick S mouthpiece in our band. Seems to be ok but am interested in ideas about other mouthpieces. Any advice welcome. The cornet is a Schilke so is nice, but has no other mouthpiece with it. Range is good on the DWS but there must be something better out there!!!!!!!..............

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano
    Denis Wick S
    Schilke
    Denis Wick S mouthpiece
  3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Why do you say this?

If you can achieve the desired tone and your range is good, what are you hoping a different mouthpiece will bring you?

There are going to be many people who say "mouthpiece x is THE PERFECT soprano mouthpiece" - what they are saying is that they have found the right mouthpiece FOR THEM, or that their soprano hero has found the perfect mouthpiece FOR THEM.
    We are not all the same - we don't have the same chops, we don't have the same concept of desirable tone, we don't have the same requirements in terms of range and stamina - what makes anyone think that we should all play on the same mouthpiece?
    Putting it simply - if I put on Usain Bolt's shoes, would I be able to keep up with him?
    HELL NO!
    (made even more obvious if you have ever met me, lol)

There are mouthpieces designed for continuous playing in the upper register, but tone will often suffer.
    There are mouthpieces designed to give an instant great tone, but range may suffer.
    Range comes from practising, not a different mouthpiece.
    Tone comes from practising, not a diifferent mouthpiece.

That said - once you have an idea of what you are looking for from a mouthpiece, then I am sure you will get lots of advice.

4. ChrisHatch

ChrisHatch Member

I'm reminded of this meem...

580987_10151060648515091_1893752559_n.jpg

Personally I've used a Vincent Bach 10 1/2 EW for many years and have found it suited me perfectly. Whether it will suit anyone else I have no idea!

5. John_D

John_D Member

After trying various others (Bach, Yamaha, Stomvi) I went back to the Denis Wick S.

6. euph77

euph77 Member

That's exactly what you should do: go and try them out at band, at home, and you'll find the one that suits best.

7. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

Many many thanks for you comments. I guess in some ways we all look for shortcuts when the blatantly obvious answer is there, just practice boy practice!!

Will just soldier on and put more efforts in at home hoping they translate to better results on match days!

cheers

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Was there anything specific you were looking for in a new mouthpiece?

9. Baton twirler

Baton twirler Member

I used a Bach 10 1/2 ew also for years then didn't play for quite a while. Bought a new one and it didn't feel the same, tried a DW s last year and it felt just as good after I got used to it. The Schilke 14a4x is supposed to be a really good high register mouthpiece and may have been with the instrument when it was purchased. Give one a try, they are quite expensive though.

10. blue juice

blue juice Member

The schilke 14a4x is good for high work but has very little tone I find. I've tried loads and finally settled on a Schilke 5a4, beautiful tone with fantastic upper register.

11. GordonH

GordonH Member

I used to play soprano and back in those days anything shallower than a Bach C cup was unusual. However, since then the trend has been for soprano cornets to use shallower mouthpieces with less tone colour. Regardless of the rights or wrongs of that if you do decide to go down the shallow route you need to ensure that the notes still speak easily and that intonation is OK across the range of the instrument. Shallow mouthpieces tend to make that more difficult.

Better to try small changes and stick to a mouthpiece for a few months before making a further small change than going on a safari.

Mouthpieces I have used successfully on soprano cornet at different times:

Wick 5B
    Bach 5C
    Bach 6
    McCann

None of these mouthpieces helped or hindered my range.
    It was just an issue of tone and intonation issues that made me change.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano
    Denis Wick S
    Schilke
    Denis Wick S mouthpiece