Soprano Legends

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by John Brooks, Apr 26, 2012.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Just saw the track list and this is a "must have" CD. Just wondering if this will be available for download on WoB Tunes. Can you advise Carl?
  2. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I was fortunate enough to receive an advance copy of this - and indeed this is a 'must have' CD. All killer, no filler, and some mindblowing playing by all three of the contributors.

Although there is a rather ropey arrangement by some bloke called 'Andi Cook' on it. Don't know who he is..... ;)
  3. DRW

DRW New Member

The 4BR article suggest that this is a compilation of previous recordings. Is that correct?
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it is a compilation from recordings over a considerable period of time. The track listing can be found here:
  5. Active Member

This one won't be available as a download, John, sorry about that.
  6. John Brooks

Then I will most certainly be ordering the CD some time over the weekend.
  7. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

I have logged on specifically to congratulate you Andi. It's an wonderful achievement for you to get your arrangement featured on this recent recording. I am just a little surprised that no one else has taken time to offer their congratulations.

8. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Congratulations (belated) to Andi for having his work featured, but perhaps most pertinently congratulations to Barry. Not only has Barry had the foresight to be the first to congratulate Andi, but he has also been first to point out the tardiness of othe TMP'ers congratulations - for which I would like to offer my congratulations to Barry for this wonderful achievement. I am just a little surprised that no one else has taken the time to congratulate Barry.
  9. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Your gentle rebuke is deserved, sir. So may I take this opportunity to congratulate not just Barry, for pointing out my (and others') tardiness in congratulating Andi; but also to congratulate Hobgoblin, for pointing out that nobody had so far taken the trouble to congratulate Barry. May I also take this opportunity to congratulate John, for drawing this recording to our attention in the first place. Frankly, I am somewhat surprised that no other member of the TMP community had taken the time to congratulate John before I intervened.

I would also add that I myself don't particularly want to listen to an entire CD of soprano cornet solos, no matter how eminent the players or how brilliant the playing. I hope my last comment does not affect the generally warm nature of this thread unduly.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  10. eflatbass

eflatbass Supporting Member

Whoops! I can't believe I said: It's "an" wonderful achievement, instead of "a" wonderful achievement! My grammar is generally rather better than that.
  11. John Brooks

I didn't wait for the weekend and placed my order before leaving the office on Friday. With WoB's "Soprano Legend"ary service, I'll likely be listening to it by the end of the week. So, in anticipation, congratulations WoB and also Andi, Barry, Jim and Uncle Tom Hobgoblin and all.
  12. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Thnkyou all, though I have to say my own achievement pales into insignificance compared with what these three have achieved throughout their careers.

I am grateful for your appreciation though. However when one considers the names of the other composers and arrangers on the back of that CD I can't help but think that mine sits more than a little uneasily in that company!

Indeed, the idea behind the track was entirely Kevin's. He just asked me to put it on paper for him, having heard some of my earlier work for Rob Westacott in his time on the end chair at Grimey and liked the style, he asked me to take a look at it.

Between them he, Brian Grant and the band found things in that score I never even knew I'd written....

PS. Any budding sop soloists looking to play along should ask Pennine Music Publishing for a free PDF of the solo part. Gav will be more than happy to sort you out. :)