Soprano Cup Mutes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WhatSharp?, Dec 17, 2002.

1. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Given that there seem to be one or two Sop players on here, I'd be interested to know what cup mute you use. I'm currently using a Wick with some serious cork removal and I've been trying to get hold of one that fits better. Alas since the passing away of Peter Gane (I have one of his straight mutes and its superb) nobody makes Sop Cup mutes anymore. Though I was told by a very helpful man at Sparx that a Cleartone cup mute will fit though the sound is a bit bright.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano Cup Mutes
    Sop Cup
    Cleartone
    Peter Gane
    Wick
  3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Oddly enough I've been phoning around to find the same thing today.

Peter Gane has not died but the man who manufactured his mutes has sadly passed on. Pity no-one has taken this business over.

After a number of 'no such thing' responses I got hold of Glynn Williams at Fred Rhodes Ltd who told me about a German (?) product which is certainly not cheap but really does the job. He's currently looking into availability for me.

Our sop player had borrowed one (but needs to return it - Doh!) but I was happy with its quality, intonation etc.

D

4. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

my son who plays sop uses denis wick adjustable cup mute, which isnt too bad. I have seen some cup mutes for D/Eb trumpets at the Blackpool contest, cant remember which trade stand, but they were very expensive. he has also got a sop harmon, not sure of the make but it isnt denis wick

5. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Thanks, (and my humble apologies to Peter Gane for saying that he's no longer with us....just goes to show never trust what you here from a salesman! :oops: )

If you manage to find out a make could you drop me a line via this site cause I would be most interested. The wick I use tends to knock the tuning out a bit at times (no its not my playing :lol: ).

I did try to tempt Sparx into makeing one (they make a wooden straight mute for cornet/trumpet) but I think its just too small a market.

6. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Satchmo,

I also have a harmon (and no I can't remeber the make either I'll look it up when I get home), I have looked at some of the Eb/D mutes and found that the stem was slightly too thin since the trumpets tend to have a narrower bell. (correct me if I'm wrong anyone). I did make some equiries a little while back about the Piccolo Silent brass mute, however the guy on the stand assured me that it wouldn't fit, so I tend to use 4 rubber bands to hold it in (the mute that is :D ).

7. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Steve - suggest you contact Fred Rhodes directly. They've ordered one for me and will post it on when it arrives.

D

8. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Thanks I'll give them a bell.

9. LU-Brasser

LU-Brasser Member

Hello,

I play with a Dennis Wick Straight Mute (specially for Sop.) As Cup-Mute I also use a Dennis Wick Cornet Cup with removed cork. It's not too bad.

10. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

peter gane

OMG MY HEART STOPPED AND STARTED AGAIN!!!...Peter Gane was one of Terry Nagle's pupils, Nog(terry Nagle was also my teacher). I bought my first large bore bone off Peter, via Terry.

11. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Umm just goes to show, get your facts before your mouth opens :oops: it wasn't Peter Gane himself who passed away (as I'm SURE the bloke on the stand told me but never mind) but the guy who makes the mutes for him. Still it is very sad, I have a Peter Gane straight mute and its wonderful (and in tune!).

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano Cup Mutes
    Sop Cup
    Cleartone
    Peter Gane
    Wick
  13. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Did you get your mute?, how was/is it? any good?.

14. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Cup Mutes for Sop

I use a Tom Crown Eb/D trumpet cup mute when playing sop. I had to file the corks down quite a bit, and have to stuff a cloth in the "cup" area of the mute to dampen the sound a bit, but it works fine. Has a slight effect on tuning, nothing that alternative valves/slide use and some 'lip' can't fix. When using this mute as opposed to a Wick Adjustable, I have found the sop to be still reasonably free blowing. The Wick is like putting a sock in the bell so the notes in the mid to upper register don't slot very well (or at all).

15. Peter Gane

Peter Gane New Member

Dear All,
    Contrary to some people's information I can confirm that I am very much alive and still kicking!:) and that the full range of Peter Gane mutes is available from Gerry Birch at Unison Music, 54 Wincheap, Canterbury, Kent CT1 3RS uk. To look me up on line just type in Peter Gane.
    Peter

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Hi Again! Just for anybody who is interested, what sort of price range have you decided on the soprano mutes?