Soprano Cornet tuning slide

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pastit, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Pastit

Pastit Member

Reading the 4br review of the new Yamaha sop got me thinking.

Why do sopranos (and flugels for that matter) use an adjustable mouthpipe(?) for tuning as opposed to the more conventional tuning slide. Is it due to the relatively small amount of tubing in the instrument as a whole?

And while I’m asking daft questions, why do the European based orchestras always seem to use rotary valve trumpets when the British based ones use the conventional type?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    slide
    Soprano Cornet
    review
    sop
    tuning slide
  3. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

I guess it is down to the small amout of tubing. From my own experience I've only had to move the slide a couple of mm to tune it, with a cornet-style tuning slide the amout of movement is doubled because it is a 'U' shape.... I think then that the sop only needs minor adjustments.
    Just my thoughts..

4. starperformer

starperformer Member

if you look at the design of a soprano, there is no obvious workable place to put a conventional tuning slide, as the tubing is curved where one would be. this is not much of an issue because, due to the design of a sop leadpipe with regard to intonation, if you need to make big adjustments to the tuning slide, you are knacked anyway. some high end Eb/D trumpets have a tuning bell design which enables much better tuning than either method (and is needed because you need to totally retune for key of D) - but this definitely comes at the expense of convenience.

the rotary valves give a more orchestral sound which is admired in european circles.

5. andyp

andyp Active Member

Our sop is a Besson Sovereign, at least 20 years old, and it does have a tuning slide, the exit from 1st valve to the bell does a quick U (about the same size as the 1st valve tube on a cornet then round in the normal way. It's the only one I've ever seen like that, the other ones I've played in the past (Shilke and Yamaha) had the mouthpiece adjusters.
    I guess you don't really want sharp bends in an instrument and a sop being so small there's not much tube to go at.

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I guess in the case of a flugel its because of the larger portion of the tubing that is tapered. It would be very difficult to get a workable tuning slide as basically the bore is tapering everywhere except the first few inches of tubing.