Soprano Cornet stands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by metalminions, Apr 29, 2014.

1. metalminions

metalminions New Member

Hi
    Can anyone recommend a sop stand that actually fits the instrument? I have a k&m stand which fits my trumpet and Bb cornet, but the size of the bell on my sop means that it is sort of suspended and you have to stand on one of the legs to prevent the stand coming up with the instrument. I've seen that the hercules stands are a different shape, but does anyone know if they would be suitable for a sop? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Alicia

2. DRW

DRW New Member

What sop are you using? If it's a Schilke beryllium bell I wouldn't put it on a usual type of stand as the metal is so flexible that you will risk damaging it.

3. metalminions

metalminions New Member

I'm using a band Schilke so I'm not sure what bell it is. it doesnt seem particularly fragile compared to my yamaha cornet though.

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I do have one that fits an Eb Bell (trumpet or cornet) properly, however I have no idea what make it is, nor can I remember where I acquired it from. Unfortunately it's in a case that lives at the bandhall, not at home so I can't examine it at present. So, all in all, a fairly useless response, but I will do my best to remember to have a look next time I'm at rehearsal.

5. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

cant you make one by screwing a mute (that you know fits it) to a piece of plywood and sitting it on a small stool ?

6. DRW

DRW New Member

If it's a band one it doesn't matter then ;)

Beryllium bell sops have a 'B' stamped on them where the bell meets the valve block.

7. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

I hear they're bringing one out that holds your mobile as well....

8. metalminions

metalminions New Member

i sincerely hope not...

9. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Helps with selfies apparently...

10. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I use a Hercules one with my Xeno sop. I used to use it with the "rubber ball" that it comes with that inserts inside the bell, until the ball came off during a concert and got stuck in the bell! Thankfully a quick prod with a pencil got it out. Following that I took a plastic wine cork, chopped it in half and used half of it in place of the rubber ball gluing it on the spike of the stand. That has worked fine ever since. The velvet base section of the Hercules stand is fine for the Xeno sop.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bb
    Soprano Cornet
    HiCan
    Bb cornet
    m stand
  12. pbirch

pbirch Member

its the smallest instrument in the band (except for some minor percussion) is it really too much of an effort to keep it on your lap? :)

13. DRW

DRW New Member

Good point. I try to treat my instruments with the care that I'd give my baby.

Instrument stands (with the exception of troms and basses) seem to encourage more risk of damage than they prevent. I shudder when I see people virtually throw or drop their instrument onto the stand at odd angles which damages the finish if not bend the metal.
    They also encourage people to leave their instruments exposed to accident damage during breaks. The number of times I have seen cornets knocked over or music stands knocked or blown onto them is shocking.

14. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

:clap::clap::clap:

15. Sid the Cornet

Sid the Cornet New Member

Difficult to count all those bars rest. ;)

16. metalminions

metalminions New Member

its not the size, its the fact that i am often called upon to play Bb cornet as well, swapping in the middle of pieces, and i don't really want to be worrying about it sliding off my lap whilst playing my Bb or vice versa! i would also like to point out that i NEVER leave my instruments unattended on their stands, as I care too much about them, and am stupidly cautious about putting them on stands at all.

17. DRW

DRW New Member

I almost wrote that using multiple instruments is the scenario where I can see stands being the best option. Sounds like you have a similar line of thinking to me. You're excused ;)