Soprano cornet parts

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Catherine81, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Catherine81

Catherine81 New Member

hi.

I'm looking for the soprano cornet parts for "The Floral Dance" arr. Broadbent and "Cross of Honour" by Rimmer. Has anyone got copies they can email these to me? Many thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano
    masters
    use
    rule
    basic law
  3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Fairly certain Studio Music will sell you a replacement part for the "Floral Dance"; "Cross of Honour" is published by Wright and Round - you may have to go through Boosey's to get a replacement part for that. W&R don't seem to have an active website at present, however you may be able to contact them by phone if you do an internet search.

Asking people to e-mail you copies is an invitation to break copyright law ...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  4. Catherine81

Catherine81 New Member

Thanks. Sorry, didn't realise it would breach any laws if it was for my own use:)

5. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Thats half the bands library on the bonfire then eh ?:rolleyes:

6. simonium

simonium Member

What I find especially amusing is that here we take the moral stance and advise members to pay the not-unreasonable £1.50 + postage for a photocopy from our ailing music publishers, yet on the 4br Facebook, the reverse is absolutely rife. Without too much exaggeration, there are daily requests for illegal photocopies, and the composers or arrangers must be able to see the posts (usually with the names and photos of the posters). I would suggest it's probably not too big an issue, or if it is, it's not something being taken especially seriously.

7. Catherine81

Catherine81 New Member

I didn't realise what a can of worms I'd opened. I wasn't asking for a whole score!

8. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

I've always struggled to understand why a publisher or anyone else would get upset about photocopies to duplicate a band's existing parts or to complete a set of (previously legally purchased) parts when some sheets have gone missing. Surely you 'paid your dues' when the original full set was purchased and asking for more from you after that is just being greedy. I'd have thought it just a lot of 'faf' selling the odd replacement sheet, really more trouble than it was worth to the music seller and more of a service that long predates easy photocopying. But, of course, the legal position and seeming common sense might diverge.

9. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

If it was £1.50 each time then that wouldn't be too bad, but there are some publishers (and composers) charging up to £5 (that is the most I have personally had, although have heard of others charging even more!) for a copy of a single part.
    I understand that there are costs to printing a part, but I'm afraid if they are asking for £5 when a decent photocopy can be made for 20p then they are taking the pi$$.

The greatest attitude towards photocopying I have come across is Pennine Music Publishing, in their Junior ensemble series (Brass Monkeys) - the name of the ensemble is printed at the bottom of the page (so you can prove that you have purchased a set) but you are then free to copy it for as many players as you might have. Other publishers could learn a great deal from this (in fact, they could learn a great deal about many aspects of publishing music from PMP - a wonderful company to do business with).

10. Ianroberts

I couldnt agree more ! Scanners at the ready folks, they cant lock us all up !

11. fartycat

fartycat Member

Totally agree, PMP are brilliant and have some fab music on sale.

I've gone down the official route of paying for missing parts before but certain publishers take so long to send out a part, refuse to email a PDF in an emergency, charge the earth and treat their customers like a nuisance. So it's far far easier to ask on facebook for a scan. What's fundamentally broken here is the totally outdated business model of most music publishers, if they want to stop scans being passed around then they need to make it easy for everyone to replace a missing part quickly.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano
    masters
    use
    rule
    basic law
  13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Of course, just to play devil's advocate for a moment, perhaps we're starting from the wrong place here; maybe if bands and individuals took more care to ensure that parts didn't go missing in the first place, motivated by the relative difficulty of replacing them ...

14. Rob

Rob Member

Just out of interest, what would you do if, on the morning of a concert, a player in your band misplaced a part for a piece on the programme but knew someone that had a scan of that part and could email it to them to print off so you could still play the piece with all parts intact?

15. Ianroberts

Come on, have you honestly never copied / used a copied part ?

16. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

There's nothing wrong with playing Devil's Advocate as, IMHO, it add's insight to the conversation. Looking at the care given to music so that it doesn't go missing in the first place isn't unreasonable, it's a fair question.

From what I've seen over the years 'almost all adult players' (comment on the others later) do take good care of what they have been entrusted with however there will always be upsets. Things get misfiled and misplaced, bags get stolen and left on public transport, domestic fires and floods happen leaving damage and some music just gets worn out. Amongst other reasons folk that have a full set of parts at home might: fall sick or even die; temporarilly dissapear from the band for domestic, work or study reasons: or leave a band on very bad terms (rare but it happens). All failing to promptly return their parts for others to use so that parts become effectively or even permanently lost.

Outside of the 'almost all adult players' group there is that very small group who somehow get past our radar to cause problems, it is never easy dealing with such people and a juggling act of damage limitation whilst wondering how the band will manage without them, that's life. Children and young people are different groups again and the very broad spread of their various 'development(s)' makes it hard to reasonably comment.

As they say 'stuff happens' and so it is that the mess then needs to be cleared up - ususally by those that didn't make it - including replacement parts being 'found'.

17. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Cross of Honour is still in print by Wright and Round. Spare parts are quoted (2013 catalogue) as between £2.00 and 2.50 depending on size (so I guess march cards are £2.00). They can be contacted at contracts@wrightandround.com or on 01452 523438. They've just moved to a new address: Unit 14, Twigworth Court Business Centre, Tewkesbury Road, Twigworth, Gloucester GL2 9PG.

I suspect Floral Dance is also still in print, but I don't see any reason to encourage anyone to play it......

18. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Completely with you on this, but it is one of the most requested pieces I have had for my advanced student ensemble (Floral Dance, Clog Dance and Lincolnshire Poacher are probably the three most requested!) from both the students and audience!!
    We can try to "educate" the audiences, we can try to "educate" the players, but sadly there will always be those who enjoy a bit of classic cheese.

19. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Here's my tuppence worth. In 2011 my band were promoted to Championship section and we played Paganini that year. Cost us about 75 quid for a full set and score. I handed out the parts and 8 weeks later what I got back was frankly unusable again. Subsequently, I now pay my 75 to 100 quid for a new test piece. It instantly gets scanned and a rehearsal set printed and the original master set goes back into a locked drawer in the library.

I have no problem with people looking to complete an otherwise unusable set which they have previously legally purchased. Unfortunately many players do not place any value on the music that the band has purchased and I have seen many cases when they just shove it unceremoniously into gig bags or sometimes just roll or fold it and stick it in a pocket. Its fine if its something like a solo cornet or tuba part because you always have a second one in the set, but if its one of your trombones then thats the set done.

Now, I'm a techie and I know that the PDF format can be digitally watermarked and you can set limits on the number of times it can be printed. So come on music publishers can you not even try to deliver music across the web in a digital PDF format whilst retaining copyright control. Going back to Pennine, they did just that for me when I purchased a set from them. They delivered it in PDF format to my email address and I printed off my own set. If publishers didn't want to deliver it to you in PDF format then they could provide a time locked download key to allow you to print off a set from a central server. Once its printed, its locked. The publisher retains a record of your purchase so if you need a replacement part in future you apply for a reprint key and it unlocks whatever you need. In fact have I not just described "iTunes for Music Publishers", sorry Apple.

20. Rob

Rob Member

Apart from the fact that a lot of players like playing it, and a lot of audiences love it......

21. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

There are indeed costs involved. The publishing model has always been to print in numbers to reduce costs (though digital print is changing this). But for a publisher to supply a one-off order for a single part involves:-

the cost of the copy itself
    someone's time to locate the part and make the copy
    the cost of raising an invoice
    the cost of processing the payment
    book-keeping needed to process the invoice
    a royalty to the composer
    the cost of administrating that royalty
    Packing and maybe postage (if included)

so it's not quite as straight-forward a process as it seems on the surface.

I'm always a little bewildered over our attitude to printed music. When we buy a pair of socks or a car, we expect them to wear out and have to buy a replacement. Seems we take more care of those things than sheet music, simply because it's eatt to copy.

22. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member