Soprano Cornet Mutes?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BeatTheSheep, Nov 8, 2003.

1. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

I'm wondering how to buy soprano mutes for a pupil of mine, as I know the gentleman who used to make those and many other types (horn cups, bass mutes) passed away recently. Does anyone know if the firm is still going or if anyone else makes them. Seems there would be a market for them. (for example, I'll buy one! :lol: )

2. yorkyboy

yorkyboy Member

I understand that peter ganes are going to start production again. not sure how to get in touch though. denis wick do a tin straight mute and if you contact phil parkers in London they have harmon mutes also in stock.

3. Michelle Ibbotson

Michelle Ibbotson New Member

soprano mutes

As far as the peter gane issue, I'm awaiting a call to confirm, but I do have a harmon mute for my sop which is really good and is the only one that has ever been suitable. They are from a company in germany & I am awaiting a supply as soon as I receive them I can let you know so you can get one through me.

Michelle Ibbotson

4. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Please let us know when you get the call, I've been after a Peter Gane Cup mute for my sop for nearly 2 years now, Arnold Sterzol produce a harmon mute (which I have and is very good, fits perfect) and also a Cup mute (Which I don't have but may have to get soon), I believe Fred Rhodes can get one (£55).

I have a Peter Gane straight which is excellent and a Wick straight (which are OK but watch the tuning).

5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to The Mouthpiece.com. We look forward to reading your views
    and comments.

:wink:

6. Moy

Moy Active Member

There's a company up her in Scotland called North Winds which is run by a chap called Stuart Benzie.
    They seemingly, through Ian Muirhead(trumpet) have started producing mutes that are meant to be of excellent quality.

7. Michelle Ibbotson

Michelle Ibbotson New Member

soprano mutes

Thanks Roger, great Baritone solo you wrote for Rob Richardson it was a great premiere performance by Rob at Uppermill you must have been pleased with it. Don't forget that the baritone is not the only instrument that has a very limited repertoire!!!!

Then again on deciding to write for the instrument you couldn't have picked a better baritone player for the job.

8. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

Re: soprano mutes

bass trombone...

9. Moy

Moy Active Member

Tenor Horn :wink:

10. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Thanks Michelle,

I know this is off-topic, but hey I'm a moderator!! :lol: I thought Rob was excellent and really brought the piece alive and I was really pleased to hear that other members of the band enjoyed it too.

Anyway to get back on-topic, what about a Concertino for Muted Soprano Cornet?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano Cornet Mutes
    soprano mutes
    bass mutes
    Does
    firm
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Practice muted? :D

13. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say that I am the proud possessor of:

Denis Wick (metal) Straight mute for Eb Bell
    Peter Gane (Fibre, Slightly lop-sided) Straight mute for Eb Bell
    Peter Gane (Fibre) Cup mute for Eb Bell
    (??? brand) Harmon mute for Eb Bell

and that they're all mine, and you can't have them....

[Sorry, very fatuous post, but, we were up at 9:00am this morning to do Remembrance Sunday Parade/Church service (lots of hymn tune arrangements with very silly last-verse harmonisations/descants/fanfares/high notes etc.), then we went back to the Band Social club, then ...... (you can guess the rest), and I've just remembered that I once swore that I would never again post to forums while "tired and emotional". Whoops, too late]

G.

14. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Whilst on the subject of Remembrance Sunday, (I know there's another thread somewhere, but.....)
    I would like to publicly pay tribute to my principal cornet at The Egham Band, Stewart Gaudion, for his exemplary performance of the "Last Post & Reveille" in Egham this morning. (I am 99.9% certain he won't read this, so I am not creeping!) - Outside, in the cold, no warm-up, brass-monkey weather, yet still delivered it note-perfect. Brought a lump to my throat, not least because I knew I couldn't have done it that well.

My best wishes to all the poor unfortunate souls who got lumbered with it this morning. Having done it myself on a number of occasions, I know how difficult it can be. No matter how humble the circumstances, it's still an awesome responsibility, because it means so much to the old boys from the British Legion.

Regards,

G.

15. LU-Brasser

LU-Brasser Member

eiii ... :shock: , yes great Idea Roger, why not? Maybe optional whitout mute...;-)

16. jimothy

jimothy Member

Keep on writing for instruments that don't usually feature as soloists, Roger, and you'll be in good company. Mozart wrote a piece especially for my instrument - he called it his second horn concerto!

17. JamesGamble

JamesGamble Member

Soprano Mutes

I got a Red handmade cup mute from a stall at Pontins, no maker on it, but its supposed to be a Peter Gane copy made by Shilke! Its was a cool £45 though!!!. I have a Denis Wick straight, which is hard to get hold of, along with an excellent Harmon (both of which came from Band Supplies in Leeds about 9 months ago).

All in all, they are like gold dust. Happy searching.

18. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I know this is an old thread, but I thought you soprano players out there might be interested to know that Denis Wick now makes a soprano cornet cup mute.
    In theory they should be as easy to obtain as any other Denis Wick mute.

I have one (and was on the test panel for them) and can honestly say that it is a superb mute. I used it in a brass ensemble concert last week and the rest of the section were very interested by it - they had never seen one before and were very impressed with both the intonation and the timbre.

19. skweeky

skweeky Member

soprano straight mute: Denis Wick
    adjustable cup mute: Denis Wick (fits soprano bell quite nicely)

not sure about a harmon mute?

20. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Dennis wick make a good Soprano cup mute now, I'd recommend one of those.

The Peter Gane Straight Mute is excellent too.

21. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Soprano mutes

I picked up a Tom Crowne Eb/D Trumpet mute which fits sop fine. Was an ex shop demo mute but it was in perfect condition. Costed me about £30 (I think) including shipping from America. I've got a wick straight mute too.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Soprano Cornet Mutes
    soprano mutes
    bass mutes
    Does
    firm