Sop Solos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by pipeman, Nov 26, 2012.

1. pipeman

pipeman New Member

Hi, I was a trombone player many years ago but haven't played at all for 25+ Years. My local band are trying to get going again but need players.

They don't need any in the tenor section where I might have fitted in so I thought I might jump in with both feet. They asked if I would mind playing cornet? Once a bandsman always a bandsman!! "Yes I'll give it a go". "OK, we have a Sop spare!!!!!" YACH!! How big does a mouth have to be before one can't play anything!!
    The playing is coming! but the pitching isn't. Can anyone recommend some slow Eb solos that I could get copies of to practice. I can't busk so need dots to read. I thought if I could get an idea of the melody it would help my pitching, that's the idea anyway.

Any recommendations?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sop Solos Hi
    Eb
    Sop Solos
    slow Eb solos
    copies
  3. trombone-john

trombone-john Member

Solitaire is nice and easy, and doesn't go too high.

4. Demelza is user friendly. Just a tricky Bb entry near the end. It's a beatiful tune and always goes down well. One of Goff's best.

5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Get hold of a Salvation Army tune book; lots of lovely melodies. You can just play from the Bb copy for practice purposes.

6. Sopman

Sopman Member

"Let me try again" is a good one, mostly within the stave and a good melody.

7. JimBrass

JimBrass New Member

I currently play both Trombone and Sop, so... join the club!

Advice above all good. Also, when you begin to "get there", Pie Jesu by Andrew Lloyd Webber is a good, easyish duet with Flugel that should help you sounding in 3rds off each other so you could judge your tunefulness that way.

I should also suggest a temporary cheat, & get hold of a shallow mouthpiece to "learn" the higher notes with, but shift back to your proper cup shape to bed the new notes down and sound tuneful (shallow mouthpieces tend to sound harsh).

Using this technique I have added at least 5 semitones of upper register over the last 12 months playing into a Denis wick S (but using the Vincent Bach 5SV for target practice).

Keep practicing! Your band is lucky to have you...

8. lisa65

lisa65 New Member

I've just gone onto sop from 2nd cornet and struggled a bit with pitching to start with. Our MD has got me working on "Bring Him Home" from Les Miserables. It doesn't go too high or fast so good for tuning and those long tones.
    Another one I have been looking at by myself is Vilja - if you email the publishers they will send you a copy of the solo part. http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/sho...IMETHORPE-SOLO*-Now-Available&highlight=vilja

9. Past it

Past it New Member

You could also use a solo cornet copy of the wright and round red hymn tunes book, great practise for developing your sound and pitching.

10. BrianT

BrianT Member

Geography of the Sop

You would be able to busk if you practised! I well know that sense of foreignness you feel when you move from a Bb to an Eb instrument, and you play an open note that would be a C on the Bb instrument, but is a G on the Eb instrument. None of the notes are where you expect them to be!

As far as I'm concerned, the very best way to improve your sense of geography of the instrument is to ditch the dots and play melodic fragments by ear in every possible key with a metronome. You could start with five notes scale patterns, major, minor, diminished, up and down, arpeggios, broken chords (major 7, dom 7, minor 7, half-diminished and diminished, etc.) and hymn tunes, nursery rhymes, whatever.

Without dots you can close your eyes and concentrate entirely on the notes you're playing; the actual pitch, the physical sensation of effort to produce that note, and most importantly, how you got there from the previous note you played. Playing off dots you're using a skill you already have, and not particularly exercising the skill you want to improve.

11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Another vote for sticking with a simple hymn book.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sop Solos Hi
    Eb
    Sop Solos
    slow Eb solos
    copies