Sop Solos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by savewaterdrinkbeer, Jan 24, 2008.

1. I have moved on to playing sop now, just bought a very good sovergein which is very easy to play.

I am now after a solo of which is of easy register as i have not mastered the upper notes yet. I can get to a F at the top of the stave comfortably.

can anyone recommend anything??

Also how long do the headaches last for?
  2. trombone-john

trombone-john Member

Ahh, not many of those about, as the whole point of a sop solo is to show off the instrument.
    You might try 'Solitaire', there's a top Bb at the end, but with an optional F written. I beleive theres an Eb soloist part for 'Spanish Eyes' as well.

Good luck in your new career on the most important instrument in the band!!
  3. Here's one that isn't too high... it's called "Let me try again" By Caravelli arranged by Simon Kerwin.
    Just has 1 top G the rest is all in the stave.
  4. Sopman

Sopman Member

The theme to "Miss Marple" isn't too bad, even if it is a bit old, think it only goes up to a G. There's also an arrangement of "Send in the Clowns" which is ok, just can't remember who arranged it. I'll let you know if I can find it....
  5. hicks

hicks Member

Just a thought, but in order to develop your high register, wouldn't it be useful to try and play pieces which go up into that range?
  6. David Mann

David Mann Member

I'd try Demelza, which goes to upper A if I remember correctly, and use that as a goal for your range. It took me 3-4 months to have a reasonably reliable A.

The headaches / blacking out thing I believe might be caused by trying to get air through a very small mouthpiece / high lip pressure. The sop I play came with a shallow & v.small mouthpiece and I used to regularly get headaches and go dizzy on long, high notes. Changing to a Wick "S" mouthpiece and opening up a bit has helped a lot.
  7. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

A Sop player blacked out in Butlins in the Champ section on stage I believe on saturday during the contest.
    I have a very dear friend who plays sop and has suffered with numerous headaches of late. I hope this thread may be of some help to her in particular with regards to the mouthpiece selection may be something to look at as well as embouchere
  8. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

I agree with David, Demelza is mostly mid register. There's a couple of upper B flats, they're within a little phrase rather than being long pauses that send you dizzy, so they're not too bad. I played it through this afternoon and you could probably get away with playing the phrase down the octave just until you can reach the A and B, it didn't sound too bad.

Alternatively, there is Only Love (Nana Mouskouri song from the '80s). Can't remember what the highest note is, but when I played it a few months ago I was (and still am) trying to recover my range after a long break from playing and it wasn't too taxing at all, you shouldn't have any problems with that.

I still haven't solved the headache/blacking out problem. I try to pay plenty of attention to my breathing and drink lots of water. Not convinced that it has made any difference though, sorry that's not very helpful :-?
  9. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Speak of the devil ;-)
  10. Im also going to throw Demelza into the ring! I've played it on Horn and it is mostly middle register playing. On Sop you would stand out above the band a little better too because it's quite thickly scored and you could just put the top b flat near the end down the octave.
  11. jsmythe

jsmythe New Member

Well, actually, I find that headaches tend to be a result of playing in the upper register when you're either not used to that sort of register or when you're not supporting the note properly
  12. Dago

Dago Member

Have you tried a couple of Asprins?
  13. brittm

brittm Member

The headache/blackout issue doesn't go away - it'll come back and bight you if you're not breathing properly. At the begininning of a week when I'm playing soprano, I'll forget how to breath because I can fill the thing without too much air. The trouble is that the support has to come from somewhere and so if it isn't supplied from the pit of my stomach, it'll come from my throat.

It's like anything, if you try and fake technique, somethings going to break (and you might just end up falling of your chair).
  14. dalizzie

dalizzie New Member

Two sop solos available from Prima (David Hirst):
    Una Fortiva Lagrima.
    Lascia cho Pianga.
    Both classical works the 2nd one was on the Trinity syllabus for grade 7 standard.
  15. robcornet

robcornet Member

Musetta arranged by the late Fred Muscroft is a nice solo for sop I don't think it goes stupidly high. I remember Peter Wilson winning best soloist at Malton contest a few years back with Cottingham Band. Went down very well!
  16. can anyone tell what standard demelza is for the band, i've played the solo part but haven't seen the score.

17. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

The band parts arn't that taxing Emili if I remember rightly, you shouldn't have too much trouble with them if you fancy a go with band.
  18. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

OMG i can't believe you posted a relpy to emili craig....especially when she lives about 10 steps across the landing :D
  19. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Lol - 9 steps actually ;)
  20. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

haha emily u legend!!! lol we used to play this at uppermill... in 4th section so id say a good 4th section band and above can play it :D