Sop Solo - Queen of the Nights Aria (De Holle Rache)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Martin G, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Martin G

Martin G New Member

Hi all,

Looking at this as a slightly more energetic and busy sop solo, but there are two arrangements on the 'Just Music' web site. The one which I have a recording of arranged by John Golland and another arranged by Sandy Smith. The JG version also has a sample solo part but the other does not.
    Does anyone have experience of the Sandy Smith version? How does it differ? Which is the better band arrangement? so forth and so on....
    Your opinions would be helpful, especially as the Sandy Smith version is almost double the price!!
    PS. Check out Patricia Petibon rehearsing this (CodvdRTX8zo) on Utube, inspiring and remarkable!!!
  2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I've played a piano accompaniment version of the Golland arrangement for your predecessor John Noall in the past - sure he could lend you that. Not sure about band parts, I'm afraid, but if any local band has it, Cherwell are presumably likely to...
  3. Martin G

Martin G New Member

Thanks for you help Moomoo but I am familiar with the Golland version as pdf's available and in my CD collection. Its the Sandy Smith one which is the mystery.
  4. GordonH

GordonH Member

I have only ever done this on piccolo trumpet using the opera piano reduction in the same key. Might be worth listening to some recordings of this method as the high bits sound remarkably like a soprano singer:

Vegasbound likes this.
  5. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Hi Martin, I think I did the Sandy Smith version last Christmas and from what I can remember it is a tone higher, the top note is definitely a C. The ending is different as well, the version I played the ending is just band, no soloist.
  6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I have three recordings of the Sandy Smith version in my collection. Kevin Crockford & Grimethorpe - Paganini Variations; Peter Roberts & Black Dyke - Spectacular Classivs Vol.5; and Michelle Ibbotson & Cory - Three Part Invention. Hope that helps.
  7. Martin G

Martin G New Member

Thanks everyone, very helpful.
  8. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

They do, don't they? I've never heard a piccolo trumpet being played before; it has a very sweet sound on the top notes - or is that just a measure of how good Maurice André is?

Jack E.