Sop player requiring advise

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JonnySop, May 1, 2010.

1. JonnySop

JonnySop New Member

Hi everyone,

I would like to see if any sop player has experienced this condition that i seem to have developed over the past few weeks. i'll give you a little bit about my background.

Started playing Bb cornet at the age of 7 moving onto sop at the age of 13. I am now 24 and have just returned playing late last year from a 5 year break.

On returning to play my stamina and range has developed well but still along way to go to where i was before. I was using a Yamaha 11 something or other, pretty deep cup mouthpiece, lovely tone but did not cut through nor was it good for top B's and C's. I purchased a Vincent Bach 11EW which comes with a cushion rim. Immediately from playing i was able to sore to top C's and D's also improved stamina by alot. Problem is now 2weeks down the line my stamina is shocking! worse than before) For some strange reason i can only play for about 10minutes without being knackered. Never had this problems before?

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. John_D

John_D Member

When I moved onto sop from Bb cornet I found that I played better after a good rest. Maybe you need to give the muscles a chance to rest before pushing them (playing up high, especially on sop, does give them a hard time).

3. JonnySop

JonnySop New Member

Thanks for the advise John. Had a contest last Saturday, i gave them a full weeks rest prior to the contest. Struggled through a 5 piece set. I've ordered a few different mouthpieces shilke 6a4a and 14a4X & bach etc. What do you play on?

4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Hard to tell without watching you and hearing you play, but sounds like maybe too much pressure?
    Take things easy, warm up gently, keep the air moving.

5. JonnySop

JonnySop New Member

Thanks again for the advise. When my lips start tiring that is when i feel i'm using more pressure. Trying to focus on my breathing to hopefully sort this problem out.

I don't know if this has any relevance but my tone seems to be pretty flat.

6. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Take a look at www.trumpetteacher.net no guarantees but this cured my range/stamina problems overnight .....

7. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Get yourself a copy of the colins advanced flexibility studies... good one to work with.

8. John_D

John_D Member

I've recently gone back to playing on the Denis Wick S which I used before my 16 years lay-off. Before that I used a Bach 17C which seems better for the high notes, but doesn't seems a comfortable to play, and has a harsher tone than the Wick.

9. JonnySop

JonnySop New Member

How did you find it coming back from such a long lay off? I'm finding it tough with just 5 years!

I played on a Wick S (Gold) before my lay off, from what i can remember it was a pretty deep cup, struggled a wee bit with the high register.

10. John_D

John_D Member

I came back playing Bb on back row for a while, think that this helped as it gave me chance to think about my breathing etc. Moved bands and played 2nd man down on front bench for a year before my return to sop (the band din't have a sop player and they had a nice Schilke sop sat there begging to be played :) )

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    everyone
    C
    something
    sop
    bit
  12. JonnySop

JonnySop New Member

I play on a shilke, think its fab, heard good things about the Yamaha Xeno although i have never had a blow on one.

I thought about returning to Bb for awhile however, the last time round moving from Bb to Eb it took me a bit of getting used to (plus the fact Bb is boring).

How often do you guys practise? I used to practise everyday but don't know if i'm maybe over doing it?

13. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Deffo sounds like too much pressure!
    The 11EW is VERY shallow and narrow and could be restricting ur lip.This is just my opinion.Iv tried all makes of mouthpieces and always end up going back to my Warburton (6XD12*) If u want any more advice PM me and ill send u my mob number.

14. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Morgan tried a Bach 3E and could hardly get a note - he was bottoming out. He's played on a Warburton 4XD7* for 3 years now and loves it (he plays Bb on a Wick 3 as it's the same inner diameter). Take up Paul's offer and you'll be on the way. Don't expect too much too soon. Good luck ;)

15. Kinrao

Kinrao Member

Mouthpieces are really important and you need to find one that gives you the range you need and allows you to play with the sound that you want. Having said this, a common problem people have is trying to sort out something that's wrong in your approach by changing mouthpiece.

I took up playing again after a 5 year lay-off a couple of years ago and started with a Wick S which produced the sound but was hard work up top. I set about finding a mouthpiece that would provide a compromise and settled on a Warburton 5D with an 11* backbore. I changed onto Bb cornet after the area but if I was still on sop I would have went to the 6D or 6XD.

If I could offer any advice it would be to hammer exercise 12 in the first section of Chas Colin's advanced lip flex. Make sure you exhaust all the air at the pause of each set of three and then have a 5 second break as you change fingering.

Also, you might try sitting forward so your back is off the chair which will ensure your diaphragm support is right. If you can feel the support in your back then you know your doing it right. This will help with pressure and make sure breath control is right.

Hope things go well.

16. sopsarah

sopsarah New Member

I play on a vincent Bach 3C in a schilke sop. I really like it as a mouthpiece. It all depends on you though....

17. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Anybody wanna buy an unused Bach 3E? PM me and we'll do a deal.