Sop Player Help??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by KernowSop, Apr 26, 2010.

1. KernowSop

KernowSop Member

Our band have agreed to buy a new sop, as the one I'm playing has more holes than a sieve! They want me to try out a few, to see which I feel happiest with. I can try the Xeno, but this is the one that is knackered and only 5 years old, the Schilkie is the only obvious choice.

Personally, I love the Cortois, but they have stopped making these, or I'd have this in a instant!

Since I can only try a couple, is there anything that you guys can suggest???

P.S. Why do Schilkie charge £300 for a case, surely they are charging enough for the instrument that they don't need to charge that much for something to put it in!!!
  2. chill

chill Member

I have a Xeno, recently played on a Shilke for a few weeks while it was repaired. Now that I've gone back to the Xeno I have to say that I prefer the latter.
    You can push more air through it without over blowing and personally I find it easier to center the notes.
  3. sop 1

sop 1 Member

Schilke every time!!!!
  4. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Go for one of those new Schilkes that clean themselves....that's what Morgan thinks he's got....
  5. brownrob

brownrob Member

Depends what you are looking for

Not to give you a short answer but my advice is to get down to a shop and have a blow on them side by side, and get a friend/conductor. See if you can trial them for a week and bring them to a rehearsal.

Thing with Courtois/Xeno/Schilke/Sterling/Blackburn and any other Ive missed out is that they are all top notch instruments, they all offer something a little different.
  6. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

All depends what you like and how you play. I play the band's Sterling, which I like a lot.

I've had (or played for enough time to make a reasonable judgement of) Schilke, Courtois, Yamaha (older versions, not Xeno) and Getzen

Of those, and the Sterling, I think my favourite was the Courtois. But then I've always liked their instruments, I've been playing one of their trumpets for 11 years now.
  7. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

As others have need to spend time playing an number of instruments to see which is best for you!
  8. sopsarah

sopsarah New Member

I prefer the tone of the Schilke to the Xeno-However in saying that my plaing has changed since moving to the schilke.
    Again- depends on you- the price difference is bout £400-£1000 depending on which schilke you were to get
  9. Squeaker

Squeaker Member

Buy a Schilke! Just don't bother with the case, it's huge and a real pain. I don't use the case I got, I bought a good gig bag which is much better!
  10. sop 1

sop 1 Member

11. Frontman

Frontman Member

I have sent you a PM.
  12. blue juice

blue juice Member

Can't beat a schilke
  13. andyfake

andyfake Member

Schilke. Any old case will do!
  14. Kinrao

Kinrao Member

Over the piece Schilke wins it by quite a margin for me. I've played a couple of them and both were very different so if you have a chance blow a couple.

Don't bother with the case - a waste of rigid material :)