Sop parts required (Urgent Help)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Borfeo, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Need some help guys

Our sop player has misplaced his pad, so I am in need of a few parts asap for a rehearsal on Wednesday (Our summer concert is on Sunday)

If you have the following, or any one of
    Windows of the world (Peter Graham)
    Variations on Laudate Dominum (Edward Gregson)
    Japanese Slumber Song (Gareth Wood)

Could you contact me on here and we can sort out how I can get a hold of it. Scanning and email to me is an option

2. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Please don't think I'm being unkind here, but:
    a) I believe that scanning and emailing would be infringing copyright and therefore illegal (lots of threads on here in the past)
    b) a 'please' somewhere may make people a little more inclined to help in future!

Hope your sop player finds their parts!
  3. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

There's always one......:roll:

If you don't want to help then I'd suggest not bothering to post. I find that the request is not poorly worded and ends with "cheers"!

BTW will PM you with our librarian's email address so you can ask him (all knowing oracle that he is in such matters) but I'm sure we've got at least one of them.....
  4. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Thanks for that Diane, your a star. Had a lot of help today from people, so thank you so much everybody

Sorry Katie for the lack of a please, although it doesn't seem like anybody minded. I guess I'll slap my wrist and try to do better next time ;)

Thanks again, just slumber song to go
  5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Technically yes, but copyright law also states that it is possible to photocopy a single part to replace a lost one. It is also possible to photocopy extra parts (if a band is so blessed with players - as if!) up to no more than a third of the total parts used.

By my reckoning, you're fine to use a photocopied part as one has been lost.

I know there is an awful lot of high horses being ridden on this forum re. copyright. However, I bet there isn't a band in the country that doesn't have a set of photocopies of something or other in their library. It seems the higher up the scale, the worse it gets too!

As an occasional composer/arranger, imagine my reaction to hear one of my arrangements being played recently by ************ band. Great, I thought, until I took a sneaky look at a music stand to see they were playing a set of photocopies! :mad:
  6. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Problem solved, thank you so much to Kings Park, Barrhead and Lochgelly bands for your quick replies.

Please free to lock this thread if you want mods!

7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I can't find any mention of these exceptions in the TMP Copyright FAQ article; perhaps it needs updating ...
  8. Bass Trumpet

These were the guidelines given to the music service I used to work for.
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Indeed; but I would be hesitant about quoting them as "law".
  10. Bass Trumpet

You're probably right - poor choice of wording on my part. However the guidelines did come directly from the PRS, so I think we are reasonably safe in trusting their judgement on this.
  11. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

12. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

It's a while since I served on the Printed Music Committee of the MPA, but I think this refers to the MPA's Code of Fair Practice, which allows for a certain amount of 'grey areas' to help out in such situations, especially in educational establishments. However, it is certainly not copyright law and only applies to publishers who have put their names to the Code.

In my experience, the best way to replace lost parts, even in an emergency, is to phone the publisher. When I worked at Studio Music, we would always try and help out in such situations.

Scanning these parts IS illegal (ie against the law, strictly speaking) so going through the publisher will probably be your quickest, best and safest option.
  13. Beesa

Beesa Member

So what is really needed is a central source of Brass Band Music. Everything that has ever been written for brass bands (30 years ago I think our library came close to that).

So, all the music digitised and indexed.

Rather than the hassle of beg, stealing and borrowing copies from other bands, it would be far easier, quicker and in the long run probably cheaper to contact that central source.

For an appropriate fee of course - part of which would then be distributed to the lawful owners of the copyright - the requested music would be emailed.

Could that work?
  14. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

As resource for out-of-print music, it might have some merit; I see no need for it where music is available from publishers.
  15. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I disagree because some publishers are downright unhelpful with issuing single parts. Mind you those'll be the same ones who'd refuse to allow their music to be kept there?
  16. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Clever idea, but unsustainable, I fear. Even if completely done in cyberspace it would be too costly to maintain. No point in spending time scanning 100,000s of parts if most of them will never be asked for.

I don't know of a publisher who won't supply extra parts. They are costly (in fact probably loss-making) to administer, for sure, but essential if a publisher wants his pieces played rather than left in a cupboard.
  17. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I agree that was often the case in the past. Up to a point it was understandable, in the days before digital image storage and laser printers, when printed music had to be engraved by hand, and printed at proper printing presses using offset litho or whatever, with minimum print runs, and no possibility of re-printing individual parts.

In this day and age there's no reason for publishers to be unhelpful, however, and I doubt that many would be. I've certainly not had experience of publishers being anything other than obliging in such circumstances. I've even rung up, explained the situation, ordered and paid for a spare part, then they've happily faxed me a copy to be used and then destroyed when the printed part arrived in the post.

What I think is wrong with threads such as these is that people seem to want to use this as a first resort, instead of as a last resort, when the obvious course of action is to ring the publisher first. Of course you have to pay for the replacements, but why should people think that they have the right to carelessly lose music without it costing anything to replace?
  18. Bass Trumpet

Sadly, as I said, many bands think nothing of using a whole photocopied set, so we're probably fighting a losing battle.

tMP annual pessimist award waiting for me......;)
  19. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

No some are just still unhelpful.... our librarian called a well known company and was told they only sell full sets!
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  20. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Name and shame ...