sop mouthpieces, which one?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by super_sop, Jan 25, 2005.

1. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

ok im on sop at the mo, and looking forward to fridays rehursal when i can finaly get me lips around my new dennis wick S.

my question to you guys, is what mp do you use for your sop?

do you use a booster?
  2. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I currently use a Schilke 11C2, I've played with that one for 18 months now.

I tried the Dennis Wick S, with little success - just a personal thing I suppose.

Whats a booster?
  3. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I used to use a Wick S. Still got one somewhere. I find it has to much resistance now, have trouble getting any decent volume out of it. I tried a booster with it, and on different Wick mouthpieces but didn't really notice any difference. I do, however use a bach Megatone mouthpiece for trumpet (and I'm considering getting a Megatone cornet mouthpiece)

I always use a Bach 1C these days, you have to work a bit harder but the sound is much nicer and it's much more free blowing.
  4. Hot Lips

Hot Lips Member

Well I couldn't get on with a Wick mouthpiece at all. I use a Bach 7e. Does the job upstairs and not a bad tone to it either.
  5. IcklePablo

IcklePablo Member

DW 4b, beutiful on sop.
  6. gaz

gaz New Member

vincent bach 17c very good
  7. billy_p

billy_p Member

4bw for me, tried the booster thing and it does help with register for me and maybe even power but a lot of sensitivity is lost and you dont get so much back through the mouthpiece. prob works for some, not me tho. just keep trying stuff, youll get it right eventually
  8. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

HATED the denis wick, the cornet ones may be great but the sop one just wasnt right.
    I use a vincent bach 17c, great in every range, sweet sound and just generally a nice mouthpiece.
    personal thing i suppose.

i tried a booster but it was crap, i had to hold it on with blue tack and it rattled and just didnt help at all.
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Schilke 12b4 for general purpose playing; sometimes switch to a Yamaha #9 for extreme soft playing. No booster.
  10. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I use a Bach 3C megatone trumpet mp at the moment but I'm in the process of getting my 3C cornet mp bored out to the same size throat as my trumpet one. Does the job but my cornet mp is a bit tight for me at the moment.
  11. Feefee

Feefee Member

Hey I use a trumpet mouthpiece myself although i too want to try out different mouthpieces shortly as ive never used a sop mouthpiece and ppl say i would probably benefit from using one!
  12. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

The problem is there aren't many specific soprano mouthpieces out there. I know people who have used the Stomvi mouthpiece kit which is about 7 mouthpieces in one. John Packer and John Myatt's stock them. They are pricey but you do get to experiment with them.

I was using a Shillke 9C4 that someone gave me. I am testing a Jet Tone 7S mouthpiece at the mo'. It is very comfy to use. The Sparx C series are also rumoured to be very good but I haven't tried one.

Try some out if you can.

Mods: This question of sop mouthpieces comes up quite frequently. Is there any chance of adding this section to a FAQ's or mouthpiece help section to be added or something along those lines? Cheers

ROGERIO New Member

HI folks. I'm new.... :)

Just started playing the Eb Cornet but have played the Eb Trumpet for years.

Having some challenges finding the correct mouthpiece for this little guy...
    thought maybe I should use a shallow V to keep a "cornet sound"... but it doesn't seem to give the instrument the ability to cut through the section.... I was told by the folks at Schilke to use the same mouthpiece I use on my P5-4, a 14A4X. It seems to work very well, but I'm still bothered by the idea that I should be using a V cup to attain the cornet sound.

What is everyones thoughts on this...? Is this "cornet sound" thing not valid when we are talking about the soprano cornet...??:rolleyes:

Rogerio in Phoenix, Arizona USA
  14. lucretia

lucretia Member

I use a Vincent Bach 7DW. Gets the high altitude notes, and haven't had any complaints about the sound!
  15. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

I use a Shilke 10b4 at the mo. Learned to play on a Dennis Wick 's', but soon learned to hate it! Way too deep for me... really struggled above top G!
    Moved to a Yamaha 7D4d, which was a nice sound, but not great in the 'Gods'.
    As has been mentioned before, I've moaned for ages about trying to get hold of a Vincent Bach 17c, which seems to be a popular choice amongst Sop players.
    In the end it all comes down to personal preference. My lips are quite thin and my stamina isn't great, so I use a shallow cup with a medium rim.
    Ive tried loads of mouthpieces and will continue to try others...until I find a niche.
  16. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

It's a tricky poser. Blending in for sections with the rest of the cornet section is tricky, but you still need to keep a cutting edge which allows you to get above the band without blowing your socks off. I'm still undecided about the mouthpiece issue I use a warburton 6D with a 7* shank which is quite deep but I find the shallow mouthpieces extremely tiring after a while.
  17. welshraz

welshraz Member

I am currently using a Yamaha 7D4d. I would say that I have quite a nice sound (no compaints anyway!) and my sound is very different from the cornets, which is the sound that my conductor is looking for (whats the point of having a sop if it sounds the same as the rest of the cornets?!???!). I am looking for a different mouthpiece to give me a little more power and better top range, and have noted down the suggestions so I can go mouthpiece shopping next week (after payday). I have also used the DW S mouthpiece but I didn't like it at all.
  18. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I use a Bach 10c
  19. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Me too. I'm looking for something that will let me reach the top notes on a consistant basis, although I am perfectly happy with my current mouthpiece (Schilke 11C2) in the middle range. Any suggestions?
  20. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I use Schilke 15A4 on sop and piccolo trumpet.

The shape 'V' or 'bowl' will have some effect on tone of the instrument. There is no mouthpiece that solves "range" problems. Practice and appropriate use of AIR are the only solution to range problems.

Recommending a mouthpiece is difficult, everyone has a different way of playing, different chops, teeth alignment etc..
    Find something that works for you from a sound point of view. If you like the sound, the range will come with practice.

For building range, for starters you should look to extend your Bb Cornet range (with your standard Cornet Mpiece) to F above 'top' C (this equates to 'top' C on Sop). Working in this register on Bb makes the transition to Eb a bit easier. If you can't really play above 'top' C on a cornet, you shouldn't really expect to play much beyond a G on a sop with much consistency. Most method books such as Vizzutti include exercises to build this register.