Sop & mouthpiece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JonnySop, May 1, 2010.

1. JonnySop

JonnySop New Member

Hi everyone,

Thought i'd start a thread about sops & mouthpieces. What is everybody currently using?

I currently play a shilke with a Bach 17C however, will be switching to a Shilke 14a4x when it arrives. Also purchasing a Xeno next week... Can't Wait. I feel its easier to play.

Anybody swapped a shilke for a Xeno?
  2. sop 1

sop 1 Member

warburton 6XD12* i found the xeno too trumpet like so bought my own Schilke
  3. JonnySop

JonnySop New Member

Received your message, might give you a call tomorrow to run a few things past you, see what you think.

4. sop 1

sop 1 Member

ok no probs :)
  5. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I play a shilke with a shilke 11ax mouthpiece. Not tried a Xeno but would like to have a bash on one just to see how they compare.
  6. John_D

John_D Member

I use a Wick S with my Schilke (well it belongs to the band). Used to use a Bach 17C but didn't find it that comfortable.
    I used to play a Yamaha sop years ago, quite good but not in the Schilkes league, also used a Getzen sop which was great to blow, fantastic valves but dreadful intonation.
  7. JonnySop

JonnySop New Member

I've had a blow on the Xeno, much more free blowing. I noticed a big difference anyway.
  8. I use a Schilke and a Bach 1 1/2C, works ok for me.
  9. sopsarah

sopsarah New Member

I played a Xeno but swapped to Schilka because I found the tone much nicer and easier to blow. I play on a Vincent Bach 3C and I really like it.
  10. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

Settled on an 14a4x good for the high stuff when it's loud. But I find it a bit thin if I'm asked to play much below mf. I have a Schilke 15b which I dropped in by accident a few weeks ago in practice its a lot more work to get high but it's much warmer, it's also a really bright Bb mouthpiece which is what I have it for really. Would prefer both of them with a wider rim. (But that's a different thread).
  11. JonnySop

JonnySop New Member

I've got a Shilke 14a4x on its way, can't wait to have a blow on it when it arrives...
  12. Sop and Mouthpiece

I currentley use a Sparx 4E on a shilke Sop.
    It also works well om my spare Getzen Custom Sop
  13. blue juice

blue juice Member

Schilke 13A4a
  14. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Anybody wanna buy an unused Bach 3E? PM me and we'll do a deal. :)
  15. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Schilke with lightweight bell (refuse to call them "beryllium", because they're not ... ); 12B4 for normal playing. Sometimes use a Yamaha 9 for very soft playing, and occasionally use a custom-modified 15B4X when required to play at extreme high volume. (Actually, the 15B4X is the best mouthpiece overall, in terms of sound, intonation, and range, but it just tires me out too quickly ...)

[PS: Also, best not take anything I say about playing sop too seriously, since these days I only get to play it 'in anger' about once a year ... ]
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  16. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I used to play sop on a Bach 7 (just the 7, not the 7c). It seemed to work well for me. I now play on an old anonymous mouthpiece that I found.
  17. Kjata

Kjata Member

To be fair, sop is better is better for anger than most things, ahh the look of the principle cornet when you blast a top C in his ear!!:clap::clap::clap:

Oh and I play a Schilke (standard, beryllium bell is a waste of money) with a DW5B!
  18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

[Disregarding (for the moment) my earlier comment about there being no such thing as a "beryllium" bell] ...

19. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

i play on a shilke 14a4a its a pee shooter but helps my range...........everyones different, i love the shilke but im playing a getzen at the moment which isnt that bad
  20. Kjata

Kjata Member

I'm glad you asked!
    The "beryllium" bell, whether actually beryllium or not, it's irrelevant, it's £112 more expensive (prices from Phil Parkers LTD) than the standard model for a 'brighter and more brilliant sound'.
    Firstly for me it really isn't any better than the standard model, and is more fragile.
    Secondly most, if not all soprano players that I've met don't need help with a brighter/louder sound, it's what comes easily for soprano players!