sop mouthpiece advice!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sippythesop, Oct 31, 2010.

1. sippythesop

sippythesop New Member

I've been on the sop for a few years and would like to try a new mouthpiece. I've been playing with a dennis wick s the whole time. I've been told by other sops to change but I'm not sure what to! If any sop players can give me advice that would be great!!

2. John_D

John_D Member

I've tried various Bach mouthpieces plus loads of others (Curry, Warburton etc) but always come back to my trusty Denis Wick 'S'.
    If you are happy with it, and it feels comfortable, stick with it.

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Before any advice is given, might I ask a few questions:

1 - Does the Wick S work for you?
    2 - Does your band think that what you are playing on works for you?
    3 - Apart from other people (who maybe haven't heard you play?) telling you that you should change, is there a reason for you changing?
    4 - Do you have a teacher at the moment?
    5 - if yes, have you talked about this with them?
    6 - What do you hope to achieve from any potential new mouthpiece?

Now on to the advice - mouthpieces are VERY personal things. What works well for one person will not always work for everyone (anyone) else and I find this to be especially true when you venture on to the smaller instruments (I am primarily a piccolo trumpet player, so know the problems associated with smaller instruments).
    Just because a great soprano player plays on mouthpiece X doesn't mean that if you play on the same mouthpiece you will sound the same as them - it is a combination of the way you blow, your embouchure and your instrument that will produce the perfect (or as near as you can get) result.

The standard analogy is shoes - one size DOES NOT fit all

You are bound to receive many suggestions on the subject of which mouthpiece will produce good results, but people who say "you should use ..." are either speaking about what works for them (with their embouchure etc) or what has worked for great sop players (with their embouchure etc), not necessarily what will work for you. It is almost impossible to give advice about what equipment people should use (especially in terms of mouthpieces) without hearing what you sound like and working out what you wish to change. Suggestions made on a forum (any forum) are basically just guesswork (often well-meaning, intelligent guesswork, but guesswork nonetheless).

A new mouthpiece is unlikely to give you a much improved range, it is unlikely to dramatically change your tone, it will not mean you are suddenly able to play like Peter Roberts.

4. sippythesop

sippythesop New Member

Thanks to both replys.
    The main reason why I wanted to change is to help with my tuning. I'm almost always notoriously a little flat, which is starting to improve. Other sop players have mentioned a differnt mouthpiece may make less hard work of top notes. I originally bought the dennis wick because of its good name and never tried any other mouth pieces as I just moved on it and had no idea what to look out for. But with listening to both ur comments you have put my mind at ease that I should stick with what right for me!

5. 007ish

007ish Member

[FONT=&quot]This brief description of a Mouthpiece may help in any decisions regarding your personal requirements. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Consider these effects:

Rim
    Wide: Increases endurance.
    Narrow: Improves flexibility.
    Round: Improves comfort.
    Sharp: Increases precision of attack.

Cup
    Large: Increases volume and control.
    Small: Relieves fatigue, weakness.
    Deep: Darkens tone, especially in low register.
    Shallow: Brightens tone, improves response, especially in high register.

Throat (The size of the hole at bottom of cup)
    Large: Increases blowing freedom, volume, tone and sharpens high register
    (largest sizes also sharpen low register).
    Small: Increases resistance, endurance, brilliance and flattens high register.

Backbore (The shape and angle on inside of shank, which is the tapered bit that fit in the instrument)
    Combinations of size and shape make the tone darker or brighter, raise or lower the pitch in one or more registers, increase or decrease volume. The backbore's effect depends in part on the throat and cup also.[/FONT]

6. Welsh_Judie

Welsh_Judie New Member

That's really useful. I'd been thinking about trying another mouthpiece, purely because I've never used anything other than the one which was with it (B&H Kosikup 1 1/2???) I've been on sop for a couple of months now and was told recently that my higher end was going very sharp, which has made me quite anxious!! Any suggestions on how to improve this please?