Sop Headaches

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IcklePablo, Apr 4, 2004.

1. IcklePablo

IcklePablo Member

Does anyone play sop and not get headaches? Does anyone know how to prevent them?
  2. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Switch to flugel? :wink:

umm.. not sure - is it something to do with pressure? :?

3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

"something to do with pressure?..."

Yea...Don't use ya head to get the notes out or your head will explode...

4. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

Hey, yeah i used to get headaches all the time, not so much now, only on extented top B's and C's.
    The best way to avoid them is before you come to a section where you'd usually get them, like a long section thats constantly top notes or a long held top note then take a big deep breath to prepare yourself to really blow it and then really push with your stomach. after taking your instrument away from your mouth take another really deep breath.
    Hopefully that may help, it works for me so hopefully it may wurk, but i know exactly wot you mean, they wreak dont they!!!!
  5. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

hiya neddy :)
  6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I agree with ScreamingSop. Generally such headaches are caused by increased blood pressure within the skull in conjunction with a lack of sufficient oxygen to the brain. This can tend to lead to a sort of dizzy sensation which can be uncomfortable for a few minutes. By taking in deep breaths you alleviate the lack of oxygen and recover quicker. As for the pressure this is purely down to technique. If you find you are straining to get notes on the soprano and suffering because of it then perhaps it is time to look at Bb cornet instead.
  7. IcklePablo

IcklePablo Member

thanx 4 all the advice. i'm sure someone will find it helpful but not me coz i don't play sop. :) thanx neways
  8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

LOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I get headaches all the time in rehearsal.... though I think it may well have more to do with the percussion being right behind me! :D
  10. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I don't get headaches as such but I've nearly passed out on occaision on really high notes, pretty scary when everything just goes black, and it's usaually at a concert or contest! I imagine it's blood pressure or something!
  11. andyp

andyp Active Member

Used to happen to me every time we did Pines of Rome, last note top B ff, vision tunnelled and felt very woozy for about 10 secs afterwards. I went back on Bb soon after, either I was doing it wrong or it just didn't suit me.
  12. Naomi McFadyen

Not enough air

13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

but it is blood pressure ;);)
  14. Naomi McFadyen

JOCKBLAST! Member

Every Sop player who's worth talking about takes blackers!
    (Probably aside from Witcherly who seems to be born to the job!)
    Ask Roberts, Crockford, Hobbins,Kerwin,Fox,Fielding & any of the other
    reprebates who hold the esteemed position of bashing their heads
    against a brick wall for their team!!!!!!
    In reply to "What Sharp" I would say that you are not hard enough
    for the position?(Sop players can take anything!!!!!!)
    In reply to "Naruco" I would say that what percussionist know about
    Sop playing I could write on the back of a Stamp!!!!
    (Enough Said!!!!
    Soprano Cornet playing is an art. The most difficult thing I do as a
    Musician. It is also the hardest thing that I do!!!!!!
    Have fun with it & be brave!!!!
    You have no other choice!!!!!!!!
    Steve S.
  16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (God, this is easy....) !!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (It's almost fun, too) !!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheesh, I never thought 'exclamation marking' could be so much fun!!!!!!
  17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

p.s. Yup, it's pretty obvious that you've been 'taking' something......
  18. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Quite possible done it myself on numerous occasions...but it doesn't mean its correct.

Pah! You don't even know the meaning of the word Hard! :D :wink: 17+ years of sop playing hardens you up to just about anything :D (except possibly angry percussionists...... that's SCARY! :D ).

Lets hope your playing is subtler than your posting :wink: you are correct though in saying that you need to be brave it isn't easy but it's great fun :D
  19. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

you're pretty much full of crap mate... pete chews gum not pops pills :p i know some good sop players who are soft buggers too!!! theyre not all hard. Naruco plays brass instruments too, and is capable of chatting far less shit than you.

has mum left the thesaurus lying about again ;);P[/b]
  20. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member