sop CDs: evans vs. roberts

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by starperformer, Oct 9, 2006.

?

which CD is better

1. P. Roberts, legend

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. B. Evans, dedications

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. equally great

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. starperformer

starperformer Member

what do people think of these recordings?

personally i think that Pete Roberts is miles ahead technically, but i have rarely heard anything so sterile - its like listening to a synthesizer at times. Evans takes risks and produces performances that i would love to be able to emulate, despite the obvious errors and limitations. this also applies to the bands for me - YBS so clean, precise, and quiet (faded down perhaps?), but just don't add very much to any of the tracks.

2. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

For me it will always be Brian Evans,heard him many times and just awsome.
    Remember hearing him at Granada Band of The Year play "Solitare " he was just walking round the Kings Hall playing the solo pure magic.
    R.I.P Brian Evans

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

<off topic>
    :eek::eek: A Synthesiser... sterile...??? never.

You perhaps haven't heard the latest sounds from the likes of Korg or Access synths then...? :)
    </ off topic>

4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I don't have either recording (shame on me I know), but having played beside Peter Roberts recently, I can asure you his playing is anything but sterile! He has a considerable dynamic range of which he is in complete control of at all times. Watching him play (Memory, followed by Flowerdale), he seems to have so much control over his playing, it appears as if he is not taking risks. A complete contrast to Brian Evans if I remember correctly, they both shared the Sop seat for a Kings of Brass concert on the Isle of Man some years ago, Brian was somewhat more animated and flamboyant in his playing.

5. starperformer

starperformer Member

yup, control is the word. sounds too easy!
    i didn't mean to say that the end result wasn't excellent, by the way.

6. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

would be more interesting to ask Peter Roberts what he thinks/ thought of Brian Evans.

He was his idol, I think

7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Organic sounding, maybe, but they still need humanising ;)

Brian Evans for me.

8. drunk monkey

drunk monkey New Member

I find it hard to believe that anyone can find fault with Peter Roberts' playing. In my opinion i can't think of anyone qualified enough to criticise it!!

SYRUP

9. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

I couldn't agree more. I don't know many people that can play a top C on sop and make it sound low and easy. A unique talent