Sooo angry!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rambo Chick, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

I have been working at a company for 5 weeks and from the off there was one person (out of a small office of 5) who has caused me grief. I eventually spoke to the boss about it and she said she'd sort it. Nothing happened.

I decided to try and sort things out with the person amicably - you know just to talk and air problems and be friendly, as normal people do. Turns out she wasnt normal.

She turned on me and wouldnt listen at all and I get home to find a message saying I'm 'no longer required'!:mad:

I have lost my job because this person disliked me and had the power to get rid of me. But because I was temporary (to be made permanent), I cant do anything about it!

I'm so mad!!!!
  2. David Mann

David Mann Member

It's maddening, but over your career, chances are it might happen and be no fault of yours. I've worked for 5 chemical companies now, first 3 all promoted me, 4th enticed me with the promise they were a great company to work for, then cut my contract 4 weeks before I would have gained employment rights. They then employed me as a consultant for a while. Incidentally, since I left there, both the MD and HR director have been fired! I strongly recommend you take references on any company you are considering, and ask about staff turnover at the interview. Turn your "madness" into job seeking energy and bounce back! One book I found useful is "What color is your parachute"; VERY american but a completely different approach to job seeking and career goal setting.

Good luck!
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'm staggered!!!! How on earth can anyone not like you?!?!?
    (Anyone who knows Caroline will surely concur with that sentiment)

I can only assume they felt threatened by you. Onwards and upwards eh? You were obviously destined for greater things than that job!
  4. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Thanks for your advice, both of you. Yes I understand that you do meet these kind of people and it is true I wasnt in the job for the long haul - hence the temporary contract (it was quite a long temp position).
    Plus at this job they have had two people before me, one for two weeks and one not long before that and both left because of this girl.

And all the people I've spoken to said they reckoned the girl in question felt threatened by me which is a shame because I don't like not getting on with people - I offered the olive branch and she burned it!:frown:

thank you for your kind comments 2nd man down/monsieur crawford!:rolleyes:

I'm actually planning to trot off down under next year for a bit - so here's to better things!:biggrin:
  5. markmywords

markmywords New Member

well what a mess

I work in recruitment and I can not believe this still happens

I wish you well in finding somewhere that appreciates you more
  6. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

She sounds like my ex girlfriend!! In fact .... no, can't be surely ...............:redface:
  7. Di B

Di B Member

I agree with the onward and upward approach - had something not dissimilar happen. Went to cover a maternity contract and the person I was covering complained to her boss that I was rude and offensive to her and apparantly was crying for a whole day.

Now, I know I can be direct, but I am professional at work!!! As I was with an agency they phoned me an hour after I left the office (where the boss said see you Monday!)

Spoke to someone about it and they said she probably felt like you could do a better job than her..... she did have a lot of power and was very well in with management... if you stand back and think it does actually make sense - especially if you know from experience you are not like what they are saying. Jealously/envy are nasty creatures.

Good news is, I am in a job that I enjoy with really good career prospects... and she is probably still in that small little firm being the big fish. Things worked out for me in the long run - I am sure they will do so for you too :)
  8. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Matey, chin up!!

Hope you managed to sort a few things today!!

Bloomin typical...she had it in for you from the start!! Ah well, you'll find something where you are needed and they can actually challenge your brain!

9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I once worked for a company and lost my job because then managers best mate came to work for us .
    The trade dropped and one person had to be made redundant the resaon i was given by the manager was
    "Ian i could not put grahams name forward because he as not had a job for 18 months and to make him redundant would be a real blow to him"
    This was after he'd spoken to the gaffers about the matter they said
    "Well Graham will be made redundant next saturday but i think he must have given them the long hard luck story about his BEST MATE:-?
    I was dumb struck!!!!:eek:
    But what made me really happy was the shop closed down 12 months after and they all lost there jobs at the company i know it might sound not very nice but it made me very happy to see it done across them by the company.:woo
  10. on_castors

on_castors Member

The moral of this story: If you have a problem you can never resolve (and you never ever will if that person has been sitting in the seat for years!) shut up, and start looking for a new job, bearing in mind it is nearly always easier to get a job of your choice when you are actually in one now! You might win if you have video footage of "things happening" but don't count on it, and consider the long term consequences.

My partner had the misfortune to be owed a very large sum of unpaid back wages, it was a "permanent" job and after months of getting nowhere, eventually things went so far as an Industrial Tribunal hearing. The case was won completely. Unfortunately, the threat of "blacklisting" was made openly by this employer, and whilst it seemed like it was just a threat in the face of his frustration at losing the case, thus far it has resulted in YEARS of unemployment (including NOW), with only 18 months of work since this, over about 8 years!
    (obviously not every employer uses such blacklisting organisations).

The problem is, blacklisting is illegal, so no company will admit to being involved in it, and even since the ending of the "Economic League," in the 1990's a well known company (which shall remain nameless for fear of being "moderated" here) seems to have stepped in its place! Although of course no-one can prove this, despite being the subject of TV "exposures" in the past! Mind you, he didn't have far to go to do the Blacklisting... it is even based here in Coventry (and in Worcestershire). One employer (a BIG multi-national company!) went so far as a "frog-march" back to the entrance gate within minutes of starting a new job (clearly between offering the job and the start date, they had received the "report"!) This was so over the top, it seemed worth getting legal advice, but despite a sympathetic tone from the Solicitor, it is a no-win situation, & without legal protection, an employer can effectively do this without explanation :-(
    The Jobcentre never batted an eyelid, and no Unemployment Benefit was lost! It seems this sort of thing is not so unusual.

Similarly, far beyond the workplace, but not so very differnt; (and here, I speak with YEARS of Professional experience), if you have problems at home, or in any organisation (or similarly, even in a band - I know of one that was harassed out of it's own premises!!!); unless you KNOW you are going to win, just shut up and MOVE as whatever the problem is, (noise, insane neighbours, flooding, victimisation, bullying... whatever) then once that problem is out in the open and documented, you may well stir problems up for yourself. (eg. the need to tell future house buyers of problems, and you may never get out! )

The odds are that the Council, Police, employer, organiser or whoever is supposed to be sorting the problem out for you, even if they do act with the best will, are unlikely to truly SUCCEED 100% (even if there are laws to protect you). They also cannot be there to protect you if things turn nasty, and certainly in noise/neighbour cases, they DO!