Songs that changed the World!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Alisop, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Alisop

Alisop Member

My year 12 Performing Arts students have to do a performance in front of a visiting examiner. They are prodominately singers but with some guitar and drum skills and there are 6 of them. There are loads of rules about what they are and aren't allowed to do.

I am going to get them to do a review and I want them to do one about 'Songs that changed the World' but the songs I want to include in this are ones that were written in a personal response to big events in history. Ideas so far include
    'Blowin' in the World'
    'Feed the World' (but don't think the group is strong enough to pull this off)

Any other Ideas, I need about 15 songs please.
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

All You Need Is Love - The Beatles
  3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I would imagine there is a wealth of material relating to World War II.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Blowin' In The Wind - Bob Dylan (anti-Vietnam War song)

erm, you said Blowin' In The World
  5. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

'Lili Marlene' - sing it in German, then English: 2 for the price of 1 ;)
  6. Alisop

Alisop Member

My Mistake, I knew what I meant!

Thank you
  7. jamieow

jamieow Member

Changed the world is a big statement!!
    There are many songs like 'Blowin' in the wind' that certainly came to represent a group of people and their beliefs at a point in time.
    There are many many songs that you could ague a point for certainly changing the world of music at their time of release, which while not as dramatic' as changing the world, still had a huge impact on popular music as we know it - I guessed popular music as the thread is entitled 'songs that changed the world' - though I understand that not all songs are 'popular' songs and other 'songs' could be argued for, I guessed that that is what you were after.
    I see the following as monumental moments in popular music history -
    1. Elvis Presley - 'That's all right' 1954 - The beginning of Rock and Roll as we know it.
    2. The Beatles - 'I want to hold your hand' 1963 - Broke the Beatles in America.
    3.Sex Pistols - 'God save the Queen' 1977 - Punk reaches mainstream
    4. Sugarhill Gang - 'Rappers Delight' 1979 - RAP hits the world, setting the tone for Hip Hop.
    5.Nirvana - 'smells like teen spirit' 1991 - Grunge's father
    6. Billie Holiday - 'Strange Fruit' 1939 - Helped revolutionise racist America
    7. Bob Dylan - 'Like a rolling stone' 1965 .
    8.RUN DMC - 'walk this way' 1986 - Written by Aerosmith, this was the original Rock/Rap/Video
    9. New Order - 'Blue Monday' 1983 - kick start to UK dance music
    10.The Beatles 'Helter Skelter' 1968 - Start of heavy metal, also inspired serial killer, Charles Manson.

The above are listed in a special edition Q magazine - the 100 songs that changed the world.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:rolleyes: ... I thought it would have included My Generation - The Who in that shortlist.
  9. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

"Something Inside So Strong" - Labi Siffre.
  10. postie

postie Member

"I'd like to teach the world to sing" by The New Seekers - a lovely vocal start too.
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There's always the "Marseillaise or the "Internationale".
  12. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

What about "We Are The World", the 1989 song by tops artists under the name USA for Africa? I've still got the original album; it was huge at the time.