Songs From Childhood

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassneck, Aug 30, 2006.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Watching a proggy (Meet The Parents) on telly, I heard a single that I remember from childhood for some reason I used to sing along with, without really understanding what it was about. It was The Seeker's hit single of Puff (The Magic Dragon). Which song do you remember from your earliest kiddy days that you couldn't leave alone?

:)redface: ... embarrassingly linking the lyrics here)
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  2. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Same! How old is that song then cos I'm only 14! Theme tunes like Bill and Ben, Rosie and Jim (someone sent me that the other day and I love it!) and Tots TV come to mind. Also general nursery rhymes- twinkle twinkle and all that.
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It was originally released as a single by Peter, Paul & Mary in 1963.
  4. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

*blinks* I love that song! Always thought it was relatively new! *Puff the Magic Dragon...*
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Showing my age again here, I'm afraid, but it would have to be either "The Runaway Train" or "Me and my teddy bear", with "Sparky's magic piano" close behind!
  6. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I remember Sparky - it always used to be on Family favourites as we ate our sunday lunch. They also used to play "Three wheels on my wagon", "Camp Grenada" and Danny Kaye's "Ugly Duckling"
  7. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Rolf Harris singing the Ladies of the Court of King Caractacus...
    Also loved My Boomerang Won't Come Back, but can't remember who it was by.
    When I was very tiny my dad used to sing me to sleep, so the Eriskay Love Lilt, All The Pretty Little Horses and Stewball all still knock me out.
  8. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Charlie Drake?

Pub quiz question t'other week on 1 hit wonders was 'Who had a No. 1 in 1957 with Nutrocker?' - and I got it right! (Bee Bumble and the Stingers, if you're interested...) Don't know how I knew - I wasn't born until after it was a hit (just :rolleyes:)

So yes, runaway train, puff, caractacus... all my era!

Also Bernard Cribbins - diggin' a 'ole & Right Said Fred :redface:
  9. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Found a cd recenetly with loads of childhood favourites on it......

Puffin Billy
    Robin Hood
    You're a Pink toothbrush
    I've lost my mummy
    My boomerang wont come back
    Jake the peg
    Gilly Gilly Osssenfeffer katzenellenbogen by the sea......

And many more that i can't remember at the moment
  10. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Indeed it was.

Also "Morningtown" (I think it was called) by the Seekers (or was it the New Seekers?)

"Tie me kangaroo down sport" by the great Rolf.

Anything by Pinky and Perky.

Also, these weren't childrens' songs, but they always take me back (shows my age):

"Downtown" and "Don't sleep on the Subway darling" by Petula Clarke

"Georgie Girl" - the Seekers again

"Yellow Submarine" by the Beatles (yes, I remember them from before they broke up).
  11. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

The Ugly Duckling, Inchworm, The King's New Clothes, Tubby the Tuba (all Danny Kaye), Sparky's magic piano and Puff, the Magic Dragon.
  12. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I was sure it was 1962, when I had the same question in a quiz the other night.
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Morningtown ride (was it called that?) I remember the sleeve of the record with a train with each carriage having a kid tucked up in bed (aww sweet!).

And Billy Don't Be A Hero which I absolutely loved when I was a kid.

Of course all my other childhood favorites are from Jimi Hendrix and other credible and cool artists :rolleyes:
  14. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

We had that on a double A-side 45! Wow! Also had some old Goons 45s
  15. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Just checked, and you're right - so I can remember a group from 44 years ago, but not a question from last month... :redface:
  16. Bungle

Bungle Member

I remember a Saturday morning radio program with Ed Stewart, then Tony Blackburn, they used to play all these kids requests. Called Junior Choice or something like that.

Here we go funny how I can remember things from 25 years ago but can't remember something my wife said to me yesterday.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  17. annmck

annmck Member

It's the same for me........was the program called "Childrens Favourites". What about " The Old Windmill in Amsterdam" about the mouse that sat on the stairs......where.....there on the stairs right there.......a little mouse with clogs on...well I declare going clip clipperty clop on the stairs.......:biggrin:
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Definitely "The Seekers", as it's featured in that much beloved selection of former days "Best of the seekers", together with "The Carnival is over" and several other real melodies ;)
  19. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Er, Paranoid by Black Sabbath, The Gallows Pole by Led Zep...various bit of Queen...Besses records....

Thinking about it that might explain a lot :eek:

First LP I ever bought was by the Muppets....with Kevin, Kermit's nephew singing Sitting on the Stairs (?) or halfway up the stairs or something....second album was Queen Live Killers in 1979 I think.
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:redface: ... I remember liking Freddie & The Dreamers as a kid ... why? :dunno