Something new for Rehearsal

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by batonwaggler, Aug 9, 2007.

1. batonwaggler

batonwaggler New Member

I sometimes feel that the band turn up for rehearsals not too bothered what I put on the stand for practise.
    Can anyone please help me give them a "wake up call" to practise time.
    I try different methods of warm up,changing seats to hear different parts around them,but they soon lose intrest.
    They forget I have to enjoy it as well!
  2. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Get them to play hymn tunes down a semitone, tone etc! It soon sorts a few people out!
  3. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

Try 101 Things to do with Hymn Tunes by Russell Gray.

The whole idea of the book is to actually do exactly what you are looking for. It will help to raise the concentration and to get productive work out of the band at the beginning of the rehearsal before moving on to the current repertoire.

This book is already used as a useful tool by many of the conductors throughout the country! Go to, click on books, then on 101 things... to find out more and purchase your copy!

We are sure YOU will find it fun too!

Gavin Pritchard
    JAGRINS Music Publications
  4. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Yell More :)
  5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

+1 for Russell's book.

Having been on the other side of his baton when he's been doing some of the stuff that's in it, it's a great tool.
  6. andyp

andyp Active Member

One way is to ask someone else (e.g conductor of another band) to take a rehearsal. It makes people sit up and take notice as they will do things in a different way from you, people can tend to switch off cos they know what you're going to do. Plus it's always interesting to get someone else's point of view on pieces.
    If they're OK with it you may even want to sit in, on the pretext of listening to balance etc, you get a different sound when you're not in the middle. Make sure this is OK with whoever you ask though, some aren't keen on the idea.
  7. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

And back to front! I've done this a few times and it has the desired effect.

Also it sounds a bit obvious but don't spend too long on any one thing and keep everyone playing, once the instrument is down for more than 5 -10 mins its almost impossible to get people to switch back on.
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Get all the players to practice a solo that has band accompaniment. Tell them that at least one person will be chosen to perform it with the band at the rehearsal. Even after they have done their 'bit', get them to practice another. This way, it might keep them in practice and on their toes ... or have you threatened with a walk-out by some! :oops:
  9. Dago

Dago Member

Sounds like fun! I've heard they do this all the time at Dyke!!!!