Something for the Scots.....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by andreww, Sep 5, 2007.

1. andreww

andreww Member

Just wondered if anyone can recommend a Scottish piece of music for brass band, the only ones I've come up with are Amazing Grace, Jamies Patrol and ahem Cock up Yer Beaver.

Many thanks

Andy x

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    scots
    things
    ooops touchy subject
    scots blokes
    wont
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Land of the Mountain and the Flood (Hamish MacCunn)

4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Tons of stuff better than those Andy. My personal favourite is Sparkes "Hymn of the Highlands".

5. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Highland Cathedral? Or is this not actually Scottish?

6. alix

alix New Member

You cant beat Skirl! its AMAZING!

- I really hope this is Scottish or else i have been deluded for many years! :)

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm sure you won't be disappointed by looking here at Adrian Drover's portfolio of Scottish arrangements ... :)

8. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Well done for embracing Scottish music!:clap:

"Skirl" rocks!! Any band could massacre it and is a good filler/ scottish encore. It hasn't been out of our pad in the 24 years I've been with the band and it's still in print cos we got a new set last year after our other one eventually fell apart through abuse and overuse!

Alternatively there are the joys from the pen of Alan Fernie that are "Jings" and "Crivvens"! Or his Flugel solo "Wild Mountain Thyme" which is as we say "awfy Braw", although I'm not sure if it's published yet?!!(Not that I'm on commission or anything!).:tup

Or there are some crackingly cheesy scottish marches like Morag's Faery Glen, Bonnie Galloway, Ingleside or Jeannie's Black E'e. Suitable for all standards and am sure would make a nice addition to your repertoire if they are still in print??:confused:

9. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

You're not deluded! Just lacking in conviction!;) Unless I've not realised and "Scotland the Brave" is in fact a cornish folk tune????:confused: And "Will ye no come back again" is a cockney knees up tune from the music hall era!:confused: :tongue:

Or mibees naw!!:redface:

10. bbg

bbg Member

As DMBabe says, ye canny beat "Skirl" - used as an "encore" it has regularly been known to get a better reception / longer applause than the stuff in the main programme, and it goes down particularly well when abroad....so listen out for it at Harrogate....!!

Other pieces that come to mind -

Highland Lullaby
    Mull of Kintyre (cheesiest of cheese!)
    My Love is like a Red Red Rose
    Flower of Scotland
    Lomond Hills Overture (Bruce Fraser - youth/school band "standard" up here!)

Come to think of it , does the original question refer to "Scottish" pieces , ie recognisable Scottish tunes, or music by Scottish composers? If so, step forward messrs Graham, Fernie, Drury and the rest...

11. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Well we def wont be playing it......!!!!!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    scots
    things
    ooops touchy subject
    scots blokes
    wont
  13. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

What Fir No Wullie? We Scots are known for our rebellion!!;)
    And is better than some of the a**e they make us play!

14. David Mann

David Mann Member

My Ain Folk - flugel solo as far as I remember - lovely tune.

15. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

"Wee Copper o Fife"- done for Solo Euph and band

16. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

Seconded for My Ain Folk goes down very well with the audience and another flugel solo "Ye Banks & Braes".

17. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

Here's all my published Scots stuff;

"Ae Fond Kiss" - Horn solo (Kirklees)
    "Airs and Dances" - suite based on fiddle tunes written for the European 2004
    "Alba" - 2 minute frantic fanfare based on "Scots Wha'Hae" - both these published by Obrasso
    "Eriskay Love Lilt"/ "My Love is Like a Red Red Rose" (Horn solo) - these might be out of print.
    "Flower of Scotland" - this is published by Raymond Tennant at Band Supplies, as might be the aforementioned "Jings" - "Crivvens" is not available....yet!
    "A Midlothian Suite" - the finale of this is a recreaton of a Gala day parade, with bits of Slaidburn, Handel's Scipio and finishing with "A Scottish Soldier" complete with bagpipes and all that jazz!! It's published by Mitre Music, who also do my version of "Loch Lomond"
    "Scottish Dances" - 3 original movements, definitely Scottish! (Obrasso)
    "Scottish Rhapsody" (Chandos)
    "Rhapsody on Scots Marches" (Scottish Rhapsody No.2!!) (Chandos)
    "Scottish Rhapsody No.3!!" (Obrasso)
    "Wild Mountin Thyme" Flugel solo (Obrasso)... this is claimed by the Irish too!!?!
    "Wee Cooper o' Fife" (Prima Arts) quite tricky and involved!
    "Ye Banks and Braes" (Kirklees)
    "The White Rose and the Thistle" (Kirklees) a Scots/Yorkshire medley.. I've never actually heard this - is there a recording somewhere I could maybe listen too!!?

18. bigcol

bigcol Member

A Royal Mile Suite? Unless they've shifted Edinburgh whilst I wasn't looking ;)

19. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

Colin,

I've written a few things that are about Scotland whilst not actually sounding too Scottish, or containing Scots melodies as such, like;

Yes, the "Royal Mile Suite" ( I suppose the 3rd movement does sound Scots!!), "Arran Melody", "A Glasgow Overture", "Caledonian Journey", "A Scots Pastorale" (set test for Land of Burns a year or two ago), "Craiglea" (the name of my house here in Selkirk) etc. Plus a few "Scots" hymn tunes such as "Slane" and "Glenfinlas", which I'm not sure is Scottish or not, but it's title does sound like a fine malt whisky!!

20. bigcol

bigcol Member

I just love Royal Mile to death that's all!

21. tubagod

tubagod Member

A Scottish Fantasy by Gordon Langford,
    i´m no expert on the matter but this sounds scottish..

22. BMMB

BMMB New Member

Hey Laura, I think the "Copper o Fife" is another yet to be written piece. Maybe your thinking of your past while in the metropolis of Kennoway.......lol!! ;)

Cheers
    Brian