Someone must know..

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by robcav, Mar 10, 2007.

1. robcav

robcav Member

...which test pieces were set for the area championship section in years gone by. Can anyone direct me to a list or provide a list? The reason I ask is because I was trying to remember in which year Journey into Freedom was set as the area test piece in the top section. I was at the Yorkshire Area that year but can't for the life in me remember which year it was. Frustratingly, 4br has the results but not the test pieces in years prior to 1997 or so. They also, rather intriguingly, have Armthorpe Elmfield winning the championship section in 2000. Well done guys and gals.
    I feel sure someone out there will be able to provide a comprehensive list of the area pieces from the past.
  2. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

although he is perhaps better known for his sausages, Ian Perks has an extensive knowledge in this area - drop him a pm and I'm sure he will be more than happy to help you :tup
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

4. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

If you still want to refer to a list, try here. There are links to the other sections on the page.

Just realised this only gives the testpieces for the Nationals.
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

But don't forget this list is the Finals not the Area ;)

Edit: And you've just edited your post while I was making mine :D
  6. JR

JR Member

definitely 1991 rob - I was in it!
    The Yorks area result was :
    Grimey (Frank Renton)
    Dyke (Dave King)

I was 7th with the old Wallace Arnold Rothwell

Apart from a great winning performance this one was famous for Sellers and a bass drum! (ask Rob Jaggar)

John R
  7. harri_bari

harri_bari New Member

JessopSmythe has started to compile a test piece database including past year history back to around 1987. It's only recently started but, appears to be building quite well.

Click here to see the thread on tMP which relates to it.

Click here to go directly to the site.

Hope this helps...
  8. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

The North Wales Area result was :
    1st: Point of Ayr

As there was noone else it obviously meant that although we won, we also came last and therefore had, by the sort of logic with which these things seem to work, to get relegated...... :confused:
  9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Since 1959 the Scottish Championships merged to also decide area qualification. The Scottish Championships result database has a fairly complete listing of the contests and which test pieces were used.
  10. NeilW

NeilW Member

According to my records (and those of Hampshire County Youth Band)

Apr 1975 West of England Qualifier [Championship Section]
    Journey into Freedom (Eric Ball)

(I don't remember where we came!)

1974 was Variations on a Ninth (Gilbert Vinter)

and I think 1976 was Spectrum (Gilbert Vinter) - though its not recorded on the HCYB site....

11. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I concur with the learned gentleman.
  12. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I think this site would be a bit easier to navigate if it was in a table or series of tables

Year Nationals Area (random other contests)
    2007 {} Isaiah 40
    2006 etc. etc.

Having everything in a single big list makes it a little tricky to extract information from.

Good idea though! Something that's been needed many times.

13. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

IBEW lists the regional test pieces and gives names of winners and runners up in each section, going as far back as 1989 at present.
  14. Terrible Tuba

Terrible Tuba Member

The list of area Championship Section Test pieces from 1969 - 2007 can be found on Page 29 of the North West Regional Championships Programme 2007.
    Journey Into Freedom by Eric Ball was played in 1991
  15. robcav

robcav Member

Many thanks to all contributors for answering my query and for pointing me in the right direction should I ever have a similar lapse in memory. I was particularly impressed by the Scottish BBA website. Great job.
  16. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

I was with Sellers then. Yes, the bass drum erm bit of a sore point! Gave a few people some laughs (and a few heart attacks!). It made be blink everytime it was smashed behind the third cornets heads.

Them were the days.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.