Solos - what do you expect to hear?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by beard_4b, Apr 2, 2004.

1. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

(Edit: Split from "Disappointing cd" thread)

I think that this CD is tremendous!

The 3 major works - Lorne Barry's Credo is awesome, Ken Downie has excelled himself once again in Christus Victor, and as for Dean Jones' Glorifico Aeternum, I have played a lot of Dean's Triumph Series and General Series contributions which I have thoroughly enjoyed, but this piece tops them all - I love the 'great is the Lord' part!

The soloists - I would love to hear someone like Roger Webster, Phil McCann, Stuart Lingard (Top cornet players in championship section bands) play Joyous Song - its so exciting and so difficult and Kevin Ashman plays it superbly - and to note kevin also plays it live in concerts, whenever I go to concerts featuring championship section bands all the cornet soloists ever seem to play is slow lyrical solos and although they may sound good anyone can play a tune!

The other soloists, Deryk Kane a superb player, gives a superb performance of the very difficult euphonium fantaisia. Andrew Justice with his solo which has been mentioned in previous responses. One of my favourite contributions has to be Gary Rose and his rendition of 'We are the reason' He has an awesome voice and the band accompaniment is so sensitive - rob foster a star in the flugel obligatto!

This is a tremendous release from probably one of the hardest working band's on the planet!

Well done Steve!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Solos
    works
    Lorne Barry
    CD
    solo
  3. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

go to more concerts... and when you can play a slow lyrical piece as consistantly well and as musically as the 3 aforementionned then can I have a signed recording please ;);)

4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Absolute rubbish, I challenge you to play any tune as well as the three players you mentioned.

5. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

When I pay to go to a concert I pay to see virtuoso soloists not to hear them play slow melodies which I use as warm ups! :wink:

6. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Steven,

Don't want to jump on the 'beard4b bash bandwagon', but this has got to be one of the most sweeping statements I have ever heard on tmp (which is really something). I am sure Roger Webster would do a fine job with 'Joyous Song' but have a hunch he is busy playing the Elgar Howarth Cornet Concerto at present......

7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

bravo.. the arrogance truly shines through your carefully chosen words :!:

8. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

thats the biggest mistake people like you make... anyone can play notes. The same sort of thing came up on another thread when someone was asking why Peter Roberts had all "the usual sop solos" on his cd. It's because he does to them what other people cant thats why he has the enormous respect he does, same goes with the 3 mentionned cornet players. I imagine that in their respective warmups they flit through things that would take you months to practise

9. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Well you obviously have the misfortune to go to the wrong gigs then. The last three solos I heard Roger Webster were the Elgar Howarth Cornet Concerto, Harry James Trumpet Concerto and Carnival of Venice. These were in four jobs in one week on their US tour. That's just one example. Most of the top cornet players around alternate between doing solos with lot's of "pyrotechnics" and slow lyrical ones. BOTH can be virtuosic though. However, it's pointless arguing with you as you are obviously still stuck in your "Salvation Army does everything better" mode. Next you'll be back boccing us about Golden Slippers.

10. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

leave the slow melody solo to the flugel player!!!

The most disappointing thing for me is going to a concert to see a 'big name' championship section band, and they're principal cornet plays a slow melody when they have the capabilities to play something which is far more technically challenging. Its a waste of a solo spot!

11. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I'm sorry, but you're just plain wrong. Most people with brains larger than a grape appreciate the skill it takes to do a slow melody properly as well as being able to do fast solos.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Solos
    works
    Lorne Barry
    CD
    solo
  13. horn1

horn1 Member

I suppose that's all flugel's and horn are good for is it? Slow melodies??? :evil: :evil: Can we fulfil any more stereotypes please??? To be perfectly honest some of the more technical solos can be dull in comparison to a well played slow solo.

14. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Steven - I have created a thread for you. This way next time you have some sweeping statements, generalisations or other musical brainstorms you wish to share then feel free to add to the list.

http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?p=95830#95830

The rule should be, no responding...just let him have his moment :wink:

15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Without wishing to be quite so erm.... rude (!) as Shrek, I do totally agree with the point he makes. Is it now an unwritten rule that principal cornets (or principal players!) of a top band are obliged to play something technically challenging as if to prove themselves as a 'top' player?? As Shrek says, playing a slow melody effectively takes a great deal of skill (something I strive for, and a different skill entirely from a 'wham, bam, thank you maam' solo,). Do you think Paganini, Kreisler, Menuhin, Heifetz et al made their names by simply playing something technically demanding on their violins ALL of the time?

Still, if it's a let down for you, each to their own, whatever! ;-)

16. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

ok points made on all accounts - let's remember to keep it friendly

17. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

Contrary to popular belief I do appreciate slow melody solos, I just hear them so often (Its all pete roberts ever plays!) and when i pay to go and see a band with apparently 'virtuoso soloists' i expect to hear virtuoso solo performances - of something other than a slow melody!

There are many technical solos with lyrical sections contained in them if you have a fetish for slow melodies as you all seem to!

To be fair this has gone off topic a bit – the only point I was trying to make is that players in the SA have the balls to play ‘real’ virtuoso solo’s if you would (i.e. not slow melodies), and then people like you lot turn round and say: “aye, that wasn’t bad, made a few slip ups here and there, but fairly good” and then the principal cornet players from your bands will come along and play an easy slow melody which also contrary to popular belief I can actually do and you will say: "Aw, that was awesome, absolutely flawless!" - yes flawless because its flippin easy!

18. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I have made you a thread for this type of talk Steven! :shock:

19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

True colours coming out, huh? Not a fan of non SA top band soloists, huh? Shame. The SA has given the banding world in general some marvellous, wonderful music (Three CDs worth alone from YBS!) but the implication here is that you, as a soloist, feel hard done by in comparison with non-SA top soloists. The banding world would be considerably poorer artistically without the SA bands and what they've brough to us. And the regard David Daws is held in would seem to contradict your unfortunate rant.

20. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

Look guys, I'm sorry for my VERY controversial opinions - I'm in work at the moment and to be fair I'm bored stiff and I'm having such a great time arguing with you all its awesome! Thanks for the entertainment! :lol:

21. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

No you're not. ;-)

22. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

You missed out the bottom part of that quote dave :wink: