Solos for BBb bass and band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mikelyons, Dec 6, 2009.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hi All,

I have been asked about BBb solos with band by a young player of about grade 5 standard. Can anyone suggest some that are easily available? If there is a thread with this already can someone please point me to it? I tried searching, but turned up nothing useful! :roll:

2. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

What about trying Moystns Music. They're good and might have something suitable.
  3. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Mr C Takes a Stroll is a good one! On BB or Eb! Im sure its on Just music!
  4. MartinT

MartinT Member

The Ploughboy, or is that too easy?
  5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Ploughboy is pretty straightforward, but I seem to remember a couple of top Bb's in it for BB. The problem is anything that's allegedly written for E or BB is usually written with the E in mind, so is often a bit too lofty to sit right on a BBb Bass.

You could start looking into the simpler euphonium solos? Blaydon races is do-able on BB. I had a pop at that myself in practice but never played it out.
  6. MartinT

MartinT Member

On the other hand, I seem to remember an optional low F in the Eb part...
  7. Thirteen Ball

You could well be right, last note I believe?

(Even if it isn't there, I used to put it in anyway!)
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

9. Blagger

Blagger Member

If you got rid of the high b - what about the euph solo "Jeannie with the light brown hair"?
    would work nicely i reckon, Depends on his or her range
  10. JPCoulson

JPCoulson Member

Tuba Smarties is a good one too.

O bought a good one a while ago: "Marley's Ghost" I think by Darrol Barry, but I'll have to check when I go back home. Will post later if I am wrong.

Good piece though: mixture of some fast work :eek: and slow melodic stuff. :rolleyes:
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

13. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

HI Andrew,

Thanks for your kind comments!!

Marley's Ghost is something different for your BBb bass players and is available from Kirklees Music
  14. Thirteen Ball

Nooooooooo it isn't!!!!

It's only saving grace is that it isn't quite as awful as "The happy hippo."
  15. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I think its pretty good (easy yes), good opportunity to show off your sound, plenty of scope for a few laughs, and the audience love it. Can't be sooooo bad then?
  16. Thirteen Ball

To each his own, Steve. Personally I've always loathed it...
  17. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Maybe so Andi, but still a good shout for the criteria set out in the OP...
  18. RMQ

RMQ Member

Try Nellie the Elephant, Im having fun with it at the mo.
  19. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Shame we didn't have this for our concert yesterday, as the quote at the end would suffice to make it am Xmas piece. Maybe next year :wink:
  20. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Okay, most stuff written with a BBb Bass solo part is naff. The Ploughboy, Forty Fathoms, TUBA SMARTIES. However at a brisk tempo Tijuana Tuba had some great bounce to it. Give it a shot (if I had a scanner that blooming worked I could send you the solo part to glance at, sorry)