Solos due for a comeback?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Nov 17, 2005.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Listening to an old Hammonds album earlier on I re-discovered a gem of a cornet solo played by Stephen Thornton (before he joined JSVB). The solo was Arthur Laycock's 'The Miniature'. Can you think of any solo you reckon has been long forgotten and needing revived? Another one I haven't heard played for a very long time is Stanley Boddington's 'Silver Theads Amongst The Gold'.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hammonds
    The Miniature
    Stanley Boddington's
    Silver Theads Amongst The Gold
    Arthur Laycock
  3. PowerRanger

PowerRanger Member

I have a recording (off a LP to cassette) of Jim Scott playing Silver threads

WOW!

Another solo you don't hear much these days is Cleopatra! (jim shep in my days) :clap:

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

(... I heard he hasn't got a copy any longer of himself playing that with GUS!)

5. PowerRanger

PowerRanger Member

He can have a copy of mine anytime, but i'm not sure if thats legal or not!!!

Fairies of the waters, thats another corker!

Was it Kevin Bolton or Mr Mcann?

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Phil recorded it with Faireys :)

7. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer Member

I recently bought a Faireys CD, an older one re-mastered with 'Fairies of the Waters' on it played by Mcann. A great solo, so delicate & precise. What about Alpine Echoes? I know it's ancient & needs an echo cornet but never fails with me.

:tup

8. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Silver Threads is on Essential Dyke Vol 4 , I think it's not played often as it is rock hard....

Fatherland - Hartman is another monster ( great recording of Phillis McCann playing it with the Fairey Band in the 1960's )

Bride of the Waves - Herbert L Clarke I did have a recording on Video of this Irish Brass Program with a young Alan Morrison with a scouse Curly Perm nailing a top Eb at the End..superb

9. Bungle

Bungle Member

We played Alpine Echos not long ago when our cornet player Sharron McCallum was refurbishing an echo cornet. Needless to say the owner had sold it on before the refurbishment was completed. Nice solo, but you may be looking back with fond memories and be disapointed when playing it again. Although saying that, if you have an echo cornet that needs refurbishment contact sharron at www.sharonmccallum.co.uk and the piece may grow on me.

10. the fish

the fish Member

Our principal cornet player recently played DMG which was written for Derek Garside of CWS Manchester Band, crakcing solo which I ghadn't heard before, shame more bands don't play it.

11. Syrup

Syrup Member

Silver Threads, Cleopatra & Fairies of the Water were all recorded by Roger Webster with B&R band on his album Bandsmens Choice a few years ago. Superb CD.

I agree about The Miniature, I used to have that recording years ago and it is a great piece.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hammonds
    The Miniature
    Stanley Boddington's
    Silver Theads Amongst The Gold
    Arthur Laycock
  13. herbert clarke

herbert clarke New Member

CARNIVAL DE VENICE ( mr rimmer ) what a corker

14. andyp

andyp Active Member

Or you get someone else to play the echoes muted and off-stage, works well but tricky to get together.

15. David Mann

David Mann Member

Life's Pageant by Terry Camsey - lovely melody with tricky and entertaining variations.

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

. . . and modelled on "Zelda", dating from the days when SA rules forbade the use of "outside" music.

17. Highams

Highams Member

18. alks

alks Member

Talking of Percy Code What about this Cornet Solo? Available FREE from the national library of Audtralia? (the file contains all the band parts)

Zanette Caprice, Percy Code arr Gregor J Grant.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.mus-vn2121430

(select the print option and it will automatically convert to pdf you can save and then print - but this may take a few minutes to download so make a cup of tea)

Never heard of it before but maybe someone should try it?

alks